OG Gear Store
Sum Toy
Dave Smith
Wood Haven
North Mountain Gear
North Mountain Gear
turkeys for tomorrow

News:

registration is free , easy and welcomed !!!

Main Menu

Most Lethal Turkey load you have ever used?

Started by jb177, April 14, 2017, 11:36:17 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Deast1988

Most lethal Ive ever seen, shot 3.5in Nitro loaded 2.25oz of hevi shot 6x7. It pounds anything in the pattern. Took a while to get them but totally worth it. Actually goin to try some 6x7 duplex in a 20ga for next season.

Marc

Quote from: owlhoot on April 15, 2017, 02:37:03 PM
? Thought the Winchester XRHD  was the same density as the Hevi shot . So what's the difference between the two?
I know for a fact that the Hevi-shot pellets are anything but round, and certainly not uniform in size.  When you purchase #6 Hevi-shot, the supposed average size of the pellets are #6.

If you open one up, the shot looks like gravel or "slag."  It patterns well, and still kills better than lead in my opinion though.

The Winchester loads claimed uniform size, shape, and density...
Did I do that?

Fly fishermen are born honest, but they get over it.

Marc

Quote from: 5arraquiver on April 15, 2017, 08:59:49 AM
Remington once made a turkey load that had heavy somewhere in the name I think. Back in 2000 to 2002 I believe. The shells were dark olive green with black brass. They were #6's and amazing turkey shells. Couldn't find them again when I ran out.  I haven't been as confident in a load until I picked up a box of LB 3" 6's.
I purchased some last year from one of the hunting forums...  They are re-branded Hevi-shot made at the same factory.
Did I do that?

Fly fishermen are born honest, but they get over it.

Nukm80

Im a rookie Turkey hunter, but I've had great results with LongBeardXR #6's. They don't penetrate the breast like y'all are talking about though.

Sent from my XT1585 using Tapatalk

owlhoot

Federal Hw7 has been the most powerful loads for us.

DirtNap647

Quote from: Marc on April 15, 2017, 11:05:45 PM
Quote from: owlhoot on April 15, 2017, 02:37:03 PM
? Thought the Winchester XRHD  was the same density as the Hevi shot . So what's the difference between the two?
I know for a fact that the Hevi-shot pellets are anything but round, and certainly not uniform in size.  When you purchase #6 Hevi-shot, the supposed average size of the pellets are #6.

If you open one up, the shot looks like gravel or "slag."  It patterns well, and still kills better than lead in my opinion though.

The Winchester loads claimed uniform size, shape, and density...
I have to agree but what I found is the shot tends to maybe even smaller than shot size listed. its oddly shaped but its wicked on the turks

husker

Quote from: Nukm80 on April 16, 2017, 12:11:53 AM
Im a rookie Turkey hunter, but I've had great results with LongBeardXR #6's. They don't penetrate the breast like y'all are talking about though.

X2  I've had great success with this same load.  Good stuff!

HookedonHooks

Quote from: Ihuntoldschool on April 15, 2017, 09:18:47 PM
All of them are lethal.  Just shoot them in the head and neck and they go right down. I don't shoot them in the breast so I don't really care how far they penetrate the breast meat.  I use the Federal Strut Shoks just cause I personally don't like all that copper stuff.
If you've never had any pellets in the breast you must be a turkey hunting God. Or you just haven't shot that many turkeys.  :z-guntootsmiley: :OGani:

Dtrkyman

Old win extended range and the white hevi 13s that were roll crimped...I loaded tss for my 20 this year so I think it will take over!

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

owlhoot

Quote from: Nukm80 on April 16, 2017, 12:11:53 AM

They don't seem to  have the penetration that some loads have then .  Htl has better penetration than lead loads .  Retains velocity and energy better down range. Moving to 5 and 4 shot in lead loads helps to.

stinkpickle

I can't say any load I've used is more "lethal" than any other.  The birds end up just as dead.

jb177

I know dead is dead... and I shoot for the waddles.  At 30-40 yards, pellets hit the breast, wings, etc.  I was shocked the magblends did not penetrate the feathers.  The birds died just didn't see the trauma as I got with the old XRHD.  I

ncturkeytalk

The Winchester XRHD were made of Tungsten. I hated it when they quit making these. I called a man that works for Olin, which makes the Winchester shells and he told me it was the price of Tungsten had gone up and by the price increase for Winchester to make any money they would have to charge 70.00 per box. This was the same time steel, copper and other metals went sky rocketing and I really hate it.

stinkpickle

Quote from: ncturkeytalk on April 16, 2017, 03:03:47 PM
The Winchester XRHD were made of Tungsten. I hated it when they quit making these. I called a man that works for Olin, which makes the Winchester shells and he told me it was the price of Tungsten had gone up and by the price increase for Winchester to make any money they would have to charge 70.00 per box. This was the same time steel, copper and other metals went sky rocketing and I really hate it.

I don't doubt that one bit.  Hevishot was shooting up in price roughly the same time...and they only boxed 5 at a time, instead of Winchester's 10.

varmint101

Same for me too.  Winchester Xtended Range 3" #6.  Loved that stuff!  Only 4 shells left.  Not much flop with that.  Followed by the Green Remington hevi shot #5.