OG Gear Store
Sum Toy
Dave Smith
Wood Haven
North Mountain Gear
North Mountain Gear
turkeys for tomorrow

News:

registration is free , easy and welcomed !!!

Main Menu

Most Lethal Turkey load you have ever used?

Started by jb177, April 14, 2017, 11:36:17 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

jb177

What's the most lethal turkey load you have ever used?  I know it's hard to judge that but you know what I mean.

For me, it was the old Winchester Extended Range Heavy shot loads in #6.  Seemed everything just died right there when I pulled the trigger.  I ran out of my stash of them last year (sure wish they never stopped making them), so I've moved on to magblends.

I've shot 3 turkeys so far with the magblends and they just don't seem as lethal.  No pellets seem to penetrate the breast or body cavity.  The Winchesters would always have some pellets to pull out of the breast.  I'm not sold on them so far...might try some straight Hevi 6's. 

Anyway, what load has been your most lethal?

Jay Longhauser

I've had the same experience with the old Winchester extended range.  At 40 yards pellets will pass through the breast from one side out the other.  I've killed plenty with other shells, but those shells are impressive.

Remturkey

They were stone cold killers, did anyone ever hear why Winchester quit making them.  I use hevi 7's now but there's no doubt the best killing shell I ever used was the XRHD

owlhoot

Why did they quit making them?  Profit?  Or maybe the long beards?

kyturkeyhunter4

Best I've shot to, I've still have a couple of boxes of them.

fallhnt

A Rage tipped carbon arrow has put down the most birds for me.

Sent from my SM-G930V using Tapatalk

When I turkey hunt I use a DSD decoy

HookedonHooks

Anybody else ever shot Penetrator Activs? All but one or two shells me and my dad had each put a bird on the ground. They were full plastic casing, and something about them was just sweet. Now they're no where to be found.

LaLongbeard

When I started using the Nitro shells #6 or duplex 6-4-7 it was such a huge improvement over standard loads the mag. Blends were about the same and at 40 yards or less dead is dead.
If you make everything easy how do you know when your good at anything?

The Baron

Just good old Hevi-Shot 3" 5's.  About 12 years ago I switched to doing the majority of my turkey hunting with a .62 (20ga) flintlock with 1 1/8 oz #6 lead.  My max for sure range is 20 yards and I shoot most of my birds at about 10-12 standing at my decoy.  I have dug out the modern gun with HS a few times over the years since and after using that setup, which is quite sufficient mind you, the devastation of the HS just blows me away.
"I don't hunt turkeys cause I want to; I hunt turkeys cause I have to."  – Tom Kelly

greencop01

:camohat: Old Winchester Extended Range #6 3 inch, devastating, expensive but a ten round box and devastating! At second, Federal 3rd Degree 3 inch.  :OGturkeyhead:
We wait all year,why not enjoy the longbeard coming in hunting for a hen, let 'em' in close !!!

wvspitndrum

Quote from: HookedonHooks on April 15, 2017, 02:46:52 AM
Anybody else ever shot Penetrator Activs? All but one or two shells me and my dad had each put a bird on the ground. They were full plastic casing, and something about them was just sweet. Now they're no where to be found.
I shot them and they did well for me , they are now Kent Cartridge, their turkey load is the ultimate diamond shot,my buddy shoots them and loves them ,out shot longbeards and everything else he tried !

chatterbox

Federal Heviweight 3-1.5-7's.
First bird I killed with one looked like he was hit with a truck!
All the birds my son has shot with with them have absolutely devastated them!

5arraquiver

Remington once made a turkey load that had heavy somewhere in the name I think. Back in 2000 to 2002 I believe. The shells were dark olive green with black brass. They were #6's and amazing turkey shells. Couldn't find them again when I ran out.  I haven't been as confident in a load until I picked up a box of LB 3" 6's.
Questions? Answer: Jesus

turkeyfeathers

Haven't shot a bird with these but gotta say Winchester 3.5" XR's #5's. I patterned at 30 yards. Forget about a pellet count in a 10" circle as I don't think I even had a 10" circle. I had a grapefruit sized hole where the shoot n see turkey head used to be. Patterned some 3.5" Federal hvywt #7's. Now that was a better pattern for what I'm looking for. Don't think I'll even stuff the XR's in  .

the Ward

The old Winchester xtended range hi density, 3" #4s. I have a few boxes of them, and they are like the MOAB (mother of all birdshot) lol! When they hit, bird is down right now, not even a twitch. It will be a sad day when I shoot the last of them!