turkeys for tomorrow

News:

only use regular PayPal to provide purchase protection

Main Menu

Big SC Bird Down!

Started by Ricochet, April 13, 2017, 02:49:54 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Ricochet

I haven't posted here in awhile, but I wanted to share a bird I killed earlier this season.

Big Bird Down!

The monster gobbler (limbhanger) from this morning:
Beard 1 = 10 6/16"
Beard 2 = 7"
Spur 1 = 1 2/16"
Spur 2 = 1 4/16"
18.2 pounds (that's pretty heavy for a swamp bird)

NWTF score = 76.625

I'm  pretty sure that's a record gobbler for me. I have killed 3 other double bearded gobblers, and this is the 2nd one in SC (4th overall)...2 double bearded gobblers in SC, 1 in GA and 1 in CA.

Thanks to Ted  Cramer and his mouth calls. I was using the Slammin' Hammer mouth call  to call him in to lay the Remington Versamax, Jeb's Headhunter choke and  Winchester Longbeard XR 3.5" #6 turkey load hammer down on him. :D

I  stopped my truck to call at a place I know birds tend to travel and  where I saw a big gobbler Saturday morning. I called once and he gobbled  back. So, I parked the truck fast and to get it out of the way of  logging trucks and ran to the swamp. I went in about 50 yards and sat  down and then heard the hens getting vocal. I knew I could move in  closer, so I moved in another 20 yards. That was just right...they  eventually came my way. I actually pulled this gobbler away from 2 other  gobblers/Jakes and a few hens. I was singing the right tune today at  the right time and that gobbler came running in from behind some  palmetto frowns at 35 yards...he shouldn't have done that. BOOM! BBD!
-JP
Is it turkey season yet? I love the sound of thunder chickens in the morning...

MISSISSIPPI Double beard

Love a double beard, congrats.
They call him...Kenny..Kenny

renegade19

taylorjones20

Alive only by the Grace Of God

Dr Juice

Ricochet

Thanks y'all!  ;D

BTW, this was gobbler #1 on the season and I actually have video of gobbler #2 here:
http://oldgobbler.com/Forum/index.php/topic,73395.0.html enjoy! :)
-JP
Is it turkey season yet? I love the sound of thunder chickens in the morning...

Gooserbat

Congratulations on a good one
NWTF Booth 1623
One of my personal current interests is nest predators and how a majority of hunters, where legal bait to the extent of chumming coons.  However once they get the predators concentrated they don't control them.

surehuntsalot

it's not the harvest,it's the chase