OG Gear Store
Sum Toy
Dave Smith
Wood Haven
North Mountain Gear
North Mountain Gear
turkeys for tomorrow

News:

registration is free , easy and welcomed !!!

Main Menu

Girlfriend tags out on public land in Florida

Started by birdman561, April 11, 2017, 07:51:02 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

birdman561

A crisp cool front pushed through Florida last weekend. I wasn't really fired up to go chase birds. But the girlfriend wanted to go. I told her they usually don't talk much when the temps drop this much. But shes as stubborn as they get. So I gassed up the truck and off we went.

The morning started off with us running late. :morning: Knowing we wouldn't make it in time to my previous honey hole unless we jogged. We took off doing some morning cardio. On the way to the spot I had to stop to try and find my lungs. The woods were beginning to wake up. And we were no where near where I planned to be. Then all of the sudden the sky began to open up and the turkey gods must've looked down and smiled upon me. :jesus-cross: A cow mooed in the distance and in response we heard 2 gobblers fire off. No more than 300 yards away.  :drool:(I told her i planned that) So we sat down, I made a quick blind and I began to sweet talk him. He came in quiet until he got about 20 yards from the decoys.

He was spitting and drumming. We couldn't see him though the brush. He did that for about 15 minutes. I looked at her and motioned her to get ready.(she was shaking like leaf) Then all of the sudden we hear another bird gobble. We could hear the sound of rustling palmettos, over the sounds of spitting and drumming from the first bird. Which would only cease when he would stop to gobble. Then the first bird must of got nervous and rushed the decoys. Im assuming to beat the other gobbler to my hen. As he walked behind a big live oak I gave her the command the lift the gun. Then he proceeded to come out the other side of the oak where she dropped him. We ran to grab her bird, and about 40 yards away was the second bird, which was much larger. But that still didn't take away from the moment. I couldn't be more proud of her.

outdoors

SWESOME
THATS WHAT I LIKE MOST IS
WHEN YOUR PLANS DONT COME TOGETHER
AND END UP IMPROVISING, AND IT ALL COMES TOGETHER
Sun Shine State { Osceola }
http://m.myfwc.com/media/4132227/turkeyhuntnoquota.jpg

noisy box call that seems to sound like a flock of juvenile hens pecking their way through a wheat field

birdman561

Quote from: outdoors on April 11, 2017, 08:11:05 PM
             SWESOME
THATS WHAT I LIKE MOST IS
WHEN YOUR PLANS DONT COME TOGETHER
AND END UP IMPROVISING, AND IT ALL COMES TOGETHER

I do love it when a perfectly excuted plan comes together. But with that being said some of my worst hunts have been my best. This being one of them.

spaightlabs

Nice job.

Also - you have out-kicked your coverage.   ;D

Rio Fan

birdman561

Quote from: spaightlabs on April 11, 2017, 08:33:39 PM
Nice job.

Also - you have out-kicked your coverage.   ;D

In my defense we met when I was much better looking. But also glad to hear a man doesn't find me attractive  ;)

Gooserbat

NWTF Booth 1623
One of my personal current interests is nest predators and how a majority of hunters, where legal bait to the extent of chumming coons.  However once they get the predators concentrated they don't control them.

Lucky_Strutter

The Great White Spur Hunter

Gold Spur

Woo Pig Sooie!!!

Rex

Congratulations!   Great bird!

Sent from my SM-G530R4 using Tapatalk

"'As surely as I live,' says the Lord,
'every knee will bow before me;
    every tongue will acknowledge God.'"         Romans 14:11

Bowguy

Muzzy61

Print by Madison Cline, on Flickr

dublelung

Congrats to you and the lady! It's always nice when an improvised plan comes together.

Meadow Valley Man