turkeys for tomorrow

News:

only use regular PayPal to provide purchase protection

Main Menu

favorite slate striker?

Started by austinc, April 11, 2017, 03:13:53 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

austinc

I'm looking for recommendations for a good slate striker. I have a couple 2 piece hickory'e, purple heart and a one piece jatoba. I've read dogwoo, tulip wood and dymondwood seem to be several faves. Currently using a hallaron wenge/walnut slate but I have several slates and looking at adding more strikers to my collection. 

Triple B

There are a lot of different strikers out there than will flat run a slate. You have already mentioned some good ones, I would add black locust to the mix as well. What works for some, may not work for others.

jed clampett

Hickory..cedar..jatoba..canarywood...persimmon..blacklocust...tulipwood...are some of my favorites

rbreedi1

hickory and persimmon are my favorites
Thunder Ridge Totes

Clardh

Macassar Ebony, Lyman tulipwood and dymalux along with his Ipe. Torman tulipwood as well. Torman has other greats it just I don't have them yet!

Wvgobbler

I'm really liking my Lyman tulipwood on slate. I also like yellow heart, and my Lyman Purple Heart and hickory.

SteelerFan

1.Black Locust
2.Tulipwood
Dymondwood
Macassar Ebony

Makers:

Steve Torman
Bill Lyman
Matt McClain
Brad Roberts

Hold a gun to my head and make me pick just one of those? Torman Black Locust (but man, I'd hate to have to make just 1 pick)

Bowguy

Dymondwood and I have an old Cody hickory, it's heavy n runs awesome.

Double B

Hickory, yellowheart and canarywood are my favorites for slate.  Poplar is my go to for close in tree talk and closing, great soft stuff.
Followed by buzzards

boatpaddle

Fowler Babinga & a CODY 2 pc Bocote....
Recognize
Adapt
Overcome

Cut*N*Run

thunderbirder

Halloran's Dymondwood, Persimmon and Ipe sound deadly on my Wenge & Walnute slate.

austinc

Thanks for all the suggestions! I'm sure this summer I'll order several of them to try on the collection of pots I have. I did order a hallaron IPE and a fowler black locust, I think both will sound great and will hopefully know more before to long!

davisd9

Right now I am very high on a Fowler Mystery Wood on my slates.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
"A turkey hen speaks when she needs to speak, and says what she needs to say, when she needs to say it. So every word a turkey speaks is for a reason." - Rev Zach Farmer

Gobbleandgrunt

Quote from: davisd9 on April 12, 2017, 02:47:26 PM
Right now I am very high on a Fowler Mystery Wood on my skates.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Mystery wood? Or monkeywood?