turkeys for tomorrow

News:

only use regular PayPal to provide purchase protection

Main Menu

Mountain Bird (video and pics added)

Started by Footballer, April 11, 2017, 11:18:22 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Footballer

The gobblers are henned up on my place. This particular flock has 3-4 gobblers in it and several hens. I hate hunting field turkeys and this particular flock happens to love open spaces. Once they make it to the fields, I find other turkeys to hunt (unless I'm guiding someone).

I didn't roost these birds last night but had a pretty good idea where they would be. I set up on the top of a hardwood ridge and before I could get situated they hammered at 6:30. I liked my chances.

The moon was incredible this morning and I could soon see several turkeys in the trees. I've always been fascinated with watching turkeys on the roost. They were super talkative this morning both the hens and the gobblers.

As luck would have it, the gobblers pitched off down the valley and into a field below. I did a fly down cackle in hope of keeping some of the turkeys up high. I followed that up with some scratching. Either that or laziness kept 3 hens in the tree for another 30 minutes.

The gobblers and hens that pitched down kept calling back and forth with the hens on the tree. I debated whether or not I should get up and just spook the hens out of the tree to try and bust up the flock, but I decided to hang tight.

As I contemplated my next move, I heard something walking in the leaves below me. I got my gun ready just in case.

One of the hens in the tree cutt hard and 3 gobblers hammered in the valley below me. The hens in the tree had lured the flock out of the field, around another ridge, through the bottom and back up on the ridge I was sitting. The lead hen must have been still in the tree. The same tree one of the gobblers was roosted in.

It wasn't long after that I heard spitting and drumming. For my enjoyment, the hen cutt again in the tree and all 3 gobblers hammered again right on top of me. A few seconds later one of the gobblers crested the ridge in full strut. At about 35 yards, some HW 7s paid him a visit. The 20 ga absolutely stoned him. No flopping.

Sometimes things just seem to go your way some days.

https://youtu.be/TQEDaLSrxFY

https://youtu.be/EZaTqAr_ygM

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

taylorjones20

Alive only by the Grace Of God

MISSISSIPPI Double beard

They call him...Kenny..Kenny

Blong

Congrats! Interesting  how easterns sound different in different areas. Those sound nothing like the easterns here in south ms.

Lucky_Strutter

The Great White Spur Hunter

suburbhunter

Greg Massey

congrats, all i can say if a person doesn't have a 20 gauge they are miss out on a great turkey gun with Federal HW 7...   I killed a nice bird with mine this pass weekend in Tenn...

TTG

Sounds like an awesome hunt! What kind of optic is that on there? Also what kind of rail do you have it on?

cramerhunts

Congratulations on a great hunt and bird. Love it when things just seem to go right. Awesome job.

SteelerFan

Congrats!! Thanks for posting the videos... almost like being there in the predawn.  :icon_thumright:

kyturkeyhunter4

dublelung

Congrats on the gobbler! I love watching a strutting longbeard on the limb. I love it even more when he pitches down in gun range.

Footballer

Quote from: TTG on April 11, 2017, 05:49:58 PM
Sounds like an awesome hunt! What kind of optic is that on there? Also what kind of rail do you have it on?

Bushnell trs-25 with a weaver rail. I can't believe I haven't used a red dot sooner.

Footballer

Quote from: Greg Massey on April 11, 2017, 04:43:51 PM
congrats, all i can say if a person doesn't have a 20 gauge they are miss out on a great turkey gun with Federal HW 7...   I killed a nice bird with mine this pass weekend in Tenn...

I may never hunt with a 12 again. This "little" gun has killed 3 gobblers this spring and the flopping was minimal. Plus it's a joy to tote around!