turkeys for tomorrow

News:

only use regular PayPal to provide purchase protection

Main Menu

Hevi #7 or mag blends.

Started by Tcagle, April 09, 2017, 08:26:35 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Va limbhanger

I've all but stopped using the mag-blends since patterning the Hevi #7's @3.5" using a RR 650 choke.
Remington 870 Super Magnum/FF3/Kick's GT .665

Benelli SBEII/FF3/Rhino .665

Bigeclipse

I liked the hevi 7s better than the blends as well but I have since stopped using both. Reason being...cost.  I have since went to longbeards. I know I know....there is so much argument between the two but let me give you some info.  I have tried  many many many types of ammo in multiple shotguns with multiple chokes.  For me the HEVIs (7s and MAG blends) were consistently great performers in all scenerios. The HEVI 7s patterned great at close 10 yard distances and still had a decent pattern at the dreaded no shoot zone of 50+ yards. Now here is why I went with longbeards...they still had the good pattern at the dreaded no shoot 50+ yards zone BUT not as good pattern as the HEVI 7s under 20 yards. I will admit that the longbeards do have a tighter pattern that close so misses could be more of a chance than the HEVI 7s. All that being said...I simply aim at the base of the neck/top portion of the body when they are in that close. Yes you will get a few more BBs in the breast meat but you can pick them out easily enough. I have yet to miss any birds and they are significantly cheaper than the HEVIs. If money was no object I would go with the HEVI 7s.

turkeyfeathers

Quote from: Poleaxe on April 15, 2017, 10:31:24 PM
.  My bird I killed Sunday was at 63yrds and dropped it.
Don't really need the 63 yards part floating around as it gives guys the wrong idea on their shotguns ability