turkeys for tomorrow

News:

only use regular PayPal to provide purchase protection

Main Menu

Question for guys that just sit.

Started by ilbucksndux, April 07, 2017, 08:20:56 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

ilbucksndux

I amd NOT trying to start an argument over what method is better ect,just looking for opinions. You guys that just go to one spot and sit. Where do you sit ? a place you know where they will eventually be ? A strut zone ? a field ? a pinch point in a bottom you know they will eventually walk through ?
Gary Bartlow

aaron

The best answer is all of those you listed are possibilities.  I absolutely love scouting.  The fun to me is finding that perfect place to call from and being confident that birds want to be there.  I do occasionally run and gun but I much prefer patience in a spot I've scouted and deemed worthy of a long sit.  I cannot tell you how many times I have given up on a bird to strike out for greener pastures and I get 200 yards away and he gobbles right from where I just left.  The memories of those birds keep my butt planted

ilbucksndux

I have a tough time sitting for more than a couple hours. I have the attention span of a 5 year old. My mind races thinking about all the spots that I want to go and be and . . . . . . . . . .
Gary Bartlow

greencop01

You have to do your homework but over everything else I have a 30 minute rule. When you get ready to leave wait 30 minutes before you leave. I've found that usually you wait 30 minutes longer, and the bird shows inside that 30 minute window. Try it.  :z-twocents:
We wait all year,why not enjoy the longbeard coming in hunting for a hen, let 'em' in close !!!

mspaci

I sit all deer season. I hunt on the move for turkey. Rarelt sit unless setting up on one or first thing in the morning to listen. Mike

MK M GOBL

One of my favorite spots to "Sit" is way on the backend finger of a field, it can't be seen from a road, it has a perimeter field road around it that then leads to 2 other nearby fields that all can be heard from my calling location, I am at a high point at this place. Over the years I/We have killed plenty of turkeys in this spot. Took me a bit to find it and after doing some scouting I put this all together. I could sit there all day as turkeys are in, out and around this area all day long.

MK M GOBL

Gooserbat

Scouting is the key. If you know where they like to be and even about the approx time it's about 3/4 of the battle.
NWTF Booth 1623
One of my personal current interests is nest predators and how a majority of hunters, where legal bait to the extent of chumming coons.  However once they get the predators concentrated they don't control them.

TauntoHawk

I can sit all day for deer but 3hrs in one spot for a turkey hurts my soul

Sent from my XT1585 using Tapatalk

<blockquote class="imgur-embed-pub" lang="en" data-id="l4hWuQU"><a href="//imgur.com/l4hWuQU"></a></blockquote><script async src="//s.imgur.com/min/embed.js" charset="utf-8"></script>

catman529

Well first, I am not the deer hunter type of turkey hunter. Calling one in is what gets me going... but I will say that I finally got one of the field birds I've been after this week by setting up where I had seen them the past 2 mornings. They came off the roost and landed 40 yards out. Shot mine at 35 yards without touching the call. If you have seen a pattern with your birds, set up where you know they like to be. Otherwise it's more of a guessing game. I would never set up and wait on birds unless I had observed a pattern and knew they weren't coming to my calls.

ilbucksndux

Quote from: TauntoHawk on April 07, 2017, 09:19:53 PM
I can sit all day for deer but 3hrs in one spot for a turkey hurts my soul

Sent from my XT1585 using Tapatalk

I feel your pain. This week has been the hardest week of turkey hunting I have ever had. I have scouted several places and knew where birds were but I just could not get it done. I was sitting and wondering about every place I thought I maybe should be sitting but stayed put. God bless anyone that can wait one out like that.
Gary Bartlow

tha bugman

Afternoons along a field edge where I know birds are known to move through...that is unless I have better intel which results in scouting which involves shoe leather

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Strutr

Quote from: Gooserbat on April 07, 2017, 08:59:55 PM
Scouting is the key. If you know where they like to be and even about the approx time it's about 3/4 of the battle.

Absolutely!  I prefer to run and gun but am always on the lookout for movement patterns.

bbcoach

For me, it's about scouting both before and during the season.  If I know birds are frequenting an area, I can set for long periods of time, especially if the birds aren't gobbling.  If I get bored and can get a gobble from a distance, I'll pick up and cut the distance.  For me, patience is a virtue that will put more birds in front of my gun barrel.  I've had Great success with this strategy.

renegade19

Quote from: ilbucksndux on April 07, 2017, 08:36:09 PM
I have a tough time sitting for more than a couple hours. I have the attention span of a 5 year old. My mind races thinking about all the spots that I want to go and be and . . . . . . . . . .

Must be an Illinois thing.  I'm getting better at the patience thing.  I think im up to a 7 year old now!

Dtrkyman

I do whatever it takes...when there quiet I am more likely to camp out in a spot...vocal I may well run around like a nut all day only to kill one where I started from????.  Many times birds have not traveled very far so patience can surely kill em!

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk