OG Gear Store
Sum Toy
Dave Smith
Wood Haven
North Mountain Gear
North Mountain Gear
turkeys for tomorrow

News:

registration is free , easy and welcomed !!!

Main Menu

Favorite Oak Ridge Aluminum

Started by Rzrbac, April 05, 2017, 10:10:18 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Rzrbac

I'm thinking there's gonna be an Oak Ridge aluminum in my vest before long.  I know many on here are fond of his calls.  I know I can call him up and get his recommendation and I will no doubt value that.  I would like to know what is your favorite call by him and what kind of soundboard and wood.  Thanks.

Snood Life

My favorite is my aluminum over aluminum in a Sapele pot.

TauntoHawk

I have his atomic 13 and it's the real deal but I hear his aluminum aluminum in curly maple or sapele are also Down right deadly

Sent from my XT1585 using Tapatalk

<blockquote class="imgur-embed-pub" lang="en" data-id="l4hWuQU"><a href="//imgur.com/l4hWuQU"></a></blockquote><script async src="//s.imgur.com/min/embed.js" charset="utf-8"></script>

BABS9

Rzrbac

MikeStaten

Bowhuntr73

Hard to decide between the two but I sway to his older Atomic 13. Just something about it but his sapele is easy to run and will scream. Both cracker calls!!

Rzrbac

So the aluminum over aluminum is louder? 

Bowhuntr73

I think so but either will reach out there with pressure and striker. His strikers are really good match and  a Lyman dymalux is sweet running on either.

Rzrbac

The sound I'm going for (don't laugh) is like my old Primos alumislate with a carbon striker.  It probably wouldn't impress anybody as far as sound but it had a ring. On more than one occasion I pulled it out after someone else had called and struck a gobbler. It just drove gobblers crazy.  I currently have a Southland aluminum but it doesn't have the same sound. It rides in my vest because I have a place for it but it's never used.

Bowhuntr73

Call Jimmy he will run both for you. He probably will send them both for you to try. He's a great guy!

Rzrbac

I'm likely gonna call him tomorrow. Just wasn't sure if I could tell the difference over the phone. 

yelpy

I like all 3 I have. They are all great calls. The Atomic 13 is #3, the Sapele aluminum/aluminum is #2 and the Maple aluminum/aluminum is #1. I will carry all three in my vest. They all have a different sound. The Atomic 13 and the Maple are close but the glass soundboard in the 13 gives the call a different sound and rasp. The 13 runs very high on the first note/front end of the yelp and the Maple just not quite as high on the front end. The Sapele has a higher front but not as high as either one of the other 2 and the second note or bottom end of the yelp is higher pitched than the others. All three are great calls!!! I want to get a few others made up in different woods that's how much I like the way they run. 

yelpy

Quote from: Rzrbac on April 05, 2017, 11:02:46 PM
I'm likely gonna call him tomorrow. Just wasn't sure if I could tell the difference over the phone.

If you do talk to him and he has other woods he uses and recommends for his aluminum please let me know through pm if you don't mind.

Bowguy

I can honestly say I don't think I have a favorite though his aluminums are my favorites n the best meat calls I own.
I have the atomic 13, sapele aluminum over aluminum and the canarywood/redheart laminate aluminum over aluminum. The last one is the only one I've yet to try.
Can't say enough about those calls, you gotta try one