OG Gear Store
Sum Toy
Dave Smith
Wood Haven
North Mountain Gear
North Mountain Gear
turkeys for tomorrow

News:

registration is free , easy and welcomed !!!

Main Menu

Some opinions please

Started by Rzrbac, April 05, 2017, 01:42:04 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Rzrbac

I'm shooting a Benelli SBE2, 24" barrel and a Kicks GT .660. For years I've shot 3.5 Federal Premiums. I stocked up on these a long time ago. I'm now pretty low and just mounted a scope so some shooting is in order.

Until I got on this forum, I had never heard of Longbeards. Just no need to look at shells, I had a stockpile and I was satisfied. Now that it's looking like I am gonna have to get more shells, what she'll do you shooters think will perform well in this setup.  I'm not concerned about numbers so much just a good shell to kill out to 40 and maybe an extra yard or two should I misjudge the distance. It also has to kill close and not be too tight as I shoot way more at 30 yards.  Thanks.

Tom Foolery

3.5" LB #5 or #6.

The 6's were much more even with no large gaps from my 870.  I gave the 5's to a friend and his 870 throws a great pattern with them with no gaps.

Rzrbac

So LBs are compatible with a Kicks choke?

davisd9

If you are wanting to stick with lead then Longbeard 5s, but they will be tight up close.

If you want to try HTL then I would do Hevi 6s or Mag Blends 5,6,7.
"A turkey hen speaks when she needs to speak, and says what she needs to say, when she needs to say it. So every word a turkey speaks is for a reason." - Rev Zach Farmer

taylorjones20

As already mentioned, the LongBeards are super tight by design so anything close is going to be crazy tight.  Magblends give a good pattern up close and at 40 yards as well.

If you're staying with lead, you should be fine with the longbeards using a scope...
Alive only by the Grace Of God

Rzrbac

Gumby

Quote from: Rzrbac on April 05, 2017, 03:26:43 PM
How tight at 30 and less?

Too tight for my liking. I use Hevi13 6s. I just couldn't get past the softball size or smaller patterns in close

Tom Foolery

Quote from: Rzrbac on April 05, 2017, 01:47:31 PM
So LBs are compatible with a Kicks choke?

I shoot H13 #6's and #7's through my Kicks choke.

I've shot the longbeards and they do a great job, but when it comes to killin' give me some HTL.

bbcoach

Rzrbac, Something that you may not have thought of since you are mounting a scope.  Don't use your Feds to zero your scope.  Use some dove loads at 12 1/2 yards until your POA matches your POI.  Then shoot 1 Fed at 40 to verify.  I can't help much with your LB question since I am shooting Hevi-13 7's thru a .670 Pure Gold choke in a 835.

dirt road ninja

If all your looking for is a 40 +/- yard gun, just about any factory turkey load will get you there. Of the lead shells I like Winchesters XX 2.25 oz load of 5's or 6's. They are adequate at 40, plus open up close.

http://www.winchester.com/products/shotshell-ammunition/Advanced/Double-X/Pages/XXT12L5.aspx

If your going to move up to HTL, I like the Hevi 7's in the 2.25oz load.

Rzrbac

Appreciate all the advice. I'll be in a store tomorrow that carries a bunch of shells so I'm gonna pick up some to try. 

Softball size at 30 is pretty dang small. 

It's been a long time since I patterned my gun but I don't recall any patterns that were that small. Seems like there are a lot of options. Those LBs may be a little tight for my liking.

Rzrbac

Can you shoot Hevi 13 through a Kicks?

bbcoach

Quote from: Rzrbac on April 05, 2017, 04:56:02 PM
Appreciate all the advice. I'll be in a store tomorrow that carries a bunch of shells so I'm gonna pick up some to try. 

Softball size at 30 is pretty dang small. 

It's been a long time since I patterned my gun but I don't recall any patterns that were that small. Seems like there are a lot of options. Those LBs may be a little tight for my liking.
If you are putting a scope on your gun, then don't sweat the tight patterns.  With today's tight chokes and tight loads think of your shotgun with a scope or red dot as you would shooting a rifle.  We aren't shooting our Grandfather's 30 inch full choke 2 3/4" guns anymore.  Aim the shotgun, don't just point and spray.

dirt road ninja

Quote from: Rzrbac on April 05, 2017, 04:57:28 PM

Kicks says no to hevi 13, but yes to the Winchester X range. Go figure. I would and not worry about.

Tom Foolery

Quote from: Rzrbac on April 05, 2017, 04:57:28 PM

I've ran over 100 rounds through mine. 

They're built like a tank.