OG Gear Store
Sum Toy
Dave Smith
Wood Haven
North Mountain Gear
North Mountain Gear
turkeys for tomorrow

News:

registration is free , easy and welcomed !!!

Main Menu

Which of these for a youth 20?

Started by blackmagic, April 03, 2017, 02:15:00 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

blackmagic

I'd like to set up a gun for my daughter to hunt with next year.  She will be turning 8 next season and is showing interest in wanting to shoot next year.   I'm really trying to get a head start so she can get comfortable with the gun over the next year.  I'd like to stick with one of the 20's I currently have but will modify it accordingly.  Here's the options.  Thanks for your opinions.

Rem 1100 youth (2 3/4 only)
Ithaca 37 (2 3/4 only)
Mossberg O/U (2 3/4 & 3" capable)

coonhunter

I just ask a similar question on here.  I ended up getting a remington 870 youth.  Priced good and lots of aftermarket options.  My son i 8 and it fits him well and he loves it. 
Joshua 24:15

blackmagic

Thank you for the reply.  The reason I started another thread is because I'd really like to use one of the 20's I already own.  I'm going to sink some money into optics chokes, etc. and really don't want to buy another shotgun.
BTW, that youth 870 looks sweet, I'm sure your son will get great use out of it.

coonhunter

Yes sir!  In that case I would go with the 1100.  I was really considering the 1187 but the price was to high and just could not justify it.  The 1100 should kick less as well.  I'm not familiar with the Ithaca and the over and under may be a little heavy??  Best of luck!
Joshua 24:15

owlhoot

How good of recoil pad do you have on any of those?. You could slip on a simms.Or an r3 on the 1100 and try the 2  3/4" hw7 with a number of chokes and be in good shape.

blackmagic

Quote from: owlhoot on April 04, 2017, 07:18:50 PM
How good of recoil pad do you have on any of those?. You could slip on a simms.Or an r3 on the 1100 and try the 2  3/4" hw7 with a number of chokes and be in good shape.

I don't think much of one on any. Especially the Ithaca.  I'm leaning towards the 1100 because its got a very short length of pull, shorter barrel, and I find it very soft shooting.  My concern is that it's fairly heavy and I'd have to get it set up for chokes as it's fixed.  I'm starting not to be too concerned with the 2 3/4 shells as I would limit her shots to very close ones (I try to shoot my own birds sub 20 yds).  I currently shoot the Ithaca 2 3/4 as my primary duck gun.
I'm also starting to think this may be a sweet compact 20 gauge for me to take out on occasions.  I'll check out those recoil pads.  Thanks for the reply

NFW

owlhoot

Gun weight is your  friend when it come to young kids.
No choke tube is a negative.  Hw7 is still a good bet .