turkeys for tomorrow

News:

only use regular PayPal to provide purchase protection

Main Menu

Most common call used

Started by upnorth, April 02, 2017, 09:46:18 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

upnorth

Mouth,pot or a box. I seem to go back and forth between a box and pot call forthe go to call. But only have a few years under the belt. Wonder what studies show is most used? Also maybe that is trending different in recent years?

Your vast knowledge or opinion?

Tom Foolery

Pot calls and mouth calls for me.  I use a Madhatter Copper and a Roberts Brothers Glass/Slate. 

For mouth calls I'm digging the Cane Creek Lost Poult and Cane Creek Dead End.

I break every box I take to the woods so I quit using them. 

Gooserbat

I always tend to start with a ghost cut mouth call. 
NWTF Booth 1623
One of my personal current interests is nest predators and how a majority of hunters, where legal bait to the extent of chumming coons.  However once they get the predators concentrated they don't control them.

Spitten and drummen

Turpin style box and slate for me. Always  a mouth call tucked in my cheek.
" RANGERS LEAD THE WAY"
"QUEEN OF BATTLE FOLLOW ME " ~ INFANTRY
"DEATH FROM ABOVE " ~ AIRBORNE

BowBendr

Bowguy

I don't think any studies have done on it. At best we can speculate but I'm sure depends who you're talking

Tail Feathers

Mostly mouth calls.  About 90% I would guess.
Love to hunt the King of Spring!

kyturkeyhunter4

For me mouth calls and pot calls.

WildSpur

Mouth and pot calls for me!

Sent from my SM-G930V using Tapatalk

Cluck more, yelp less

Rzrbac

renegade19

Hooks "Enforcer" mouth call with a pot call of some type thrown in once in a while.

tha bugman

Quote from: Tail Feathers on April 02, 2017, 11:31:07 PM
Mostly mouth calls.  About 90% I would guess.
+1  Even though Sunday morning it was a good thing I had my hand yelper....dang birds weren't paying my mouth yelps any attention! :gobble:

WV TURKEY THUG

I use a slate 95% of the time. I hunt public land a good bit and it seems like everyone and their brother uses a mouth call in that area.

sixbird

I generally go to a pot call first but as it goes, that's what I use, meaning that if a bird or two respond to a box, that's what I'll lean toward. If they respond to a mouth call, I'll use that. I don't know if it's a function of what most of the birds are   responding to or it's because I tend to use that type more since I've had success with it once.
It does seem like some years they're more responsive to certain sounds and other years, others. That could be a function of them hearing the same calls from everybody and figuring something isn't right or it could be I'm more proficient some years with one or another call...OR, it could all be dumb luck and the birds happen to be within ear shot when I use those particular calls...
I just figure I'll try calls with drastically different tones and somebody will like one of them...Seems to work out for me... :fud: :OGani:

upnorth

I am surprised,very few box calls?