OG Gear Store
Sum Toy
Dave Smith
Wood Haven
North Mountain Gear
North Mountain Gear
turkeys for tomorrow

News:

registration is free , easy and welcomed !!!

Main Menu

Bow hunting turkey

Started by High plains drifter, April 02, 2017, 11:38:30 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

High plains drifter

Is it best to use a blind when turkey hunting with a bow.Will they see you draw, if you are not in a blind, but hidden in the brush pretty well? Any info, appreciated.

Ericbrooks

Is it best? That's a matter of opinion.
Is it much easier? Absolutely!
Yes they will pick you off real quick drawing if not in a blind.
Use terrain and big trees to your advantage and be prepared to take longer shots. The closer they are the harder it gets.
Have you ever practiced drawing and shooting your bow while sitting on the ground?
(I haven't been successful yet without a blind!)

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

beakbuster10

The blind will let you get away with basically infinite movement if you wear black and keep the sun at your back. You can't do that out of a blind, so in that sense a blind is easier. But being attached (stuck in one place) to the blind kind of sucks in my opinion. It turns turkey hunting into to deer hunting.

kyturkeyhunter4

I think it's best to use the blind, you can get away with alot more movement drawing your bow back. It's very hard to get that bow drawed back with that bird not seeing you on the ground. I'm not saying it can't be done but your success rate will be a hole lot better in that blind I can promise you that.

High plains drifter

Quote from: beakbuster10 on April 02, 2017, 12:01:27 PM
The blind will let you get away with basically infinite movement if you wear black and keep the sun at your back. You can't do that out of a blind, so in that sense a blind is easier. But being attached (stuck in one place) to the blind kind of sucks in my opinion. It turns turkey hunting into to deer hunting.

l agree, I don't want to pack one of those blinds around, that's a hassle.Im just wondering if I can hide well enough to draw, without being seen. I usually shoot my gun, lying down on my stomach.

dublelung

Quote from: High plains drifter on April 02, 2017, 12:26:35 PM
Quote from: beakbuster10 on April 02, 2017, 12:01:27 PM

l agree, I don't want to pack one of those blinds around, that's a hassle.Im just wondering if I can hide well enough to draw, without being seen. I usually shoot my gun, lying down on my stomach.

Sounds like a crawler to me!
Laying prone takes away too much mobility in the event a gobbler approaches from any direction other than straight ahead. That and you'd get soaked by early morning dew.

All that said, yes a blind will allow you to shoot much easier than not using one. I know a few people who successfully bowhunt turkeys each season and don't use a blind. They position themselves close to large trees or thick fence rows and use them to draw when the turkey goes behind one. When more than one turkey approaches it becomes even harder to reach full draw.

guesswho

I've killed a handful with a bow but never used a blind.  I'm sure the blind would make it easier to stay concealed.  But I'll take the tradeoff of being more mobile without one.   Never had a problem drawing on them, I usually had some sort of natural obstruction like a large tree to help hide the movement of drawing.  A single bird isn't to bad, but multiple birds can be tricky.
If I'm not back in five minutes, wait longer!
BodonkaDeke Prostaff
MoHo's Prostaff
Do unto others before others do unto you
Official Member Of The Unofficial Firedup Turkey
Calls Prostaff

kdsberman

This thread is making me nervous as this will be my first year bowhunting turkeys, and it'll be without a blind.

JLH

I've only shot 1 turkey with a gun....just isn't for me.

I only bowhunt them without a blind.....decoys are surely a big help keeping them distracted, and be prepared to have birds in range and not being able to shoot....I generally have areas where terrain is in my favor, and like to be among big trees or some sort of cover. You can cut a few branches to make a sort of blind to sheild some movement. You're not just gonna sit at the base of a tree and get your bow back on a tom.

Consider a bird inside 25 yds. a successful hunt, whether you draw or not.

Main things to consider....dropping bow weight way down (I generally shoot under 50)
You have to be able to draw smoothly and easy....and make sure your cam clears the ground...short ata bows are best for this.

And practice like crazy sitting on your butt....shooting this way is a whole different game!

Most importantly, stick with it! It's borderline stupid, but when it comes together....it's like nothing else!

In my opinion, a bird with a bow and no blind is equal to 20 with a gun....

High plains drifter

I know it's challenging, and I've never tried sitting down, and shooting.Last year, I had my bow, and my gun, and this huge bird came in, and I wanted to go to the bow, but he was only 10 yards, and there was a fence, and I was in the open, I think he would have seen me draw.There are places where trees are down, on this ranch, and I think I can set up a natural blind, but I want a close shot, because I don't want to wound a bird.One thing I really like about those double bull blinds is, you can eat lunch, smoke a cigar, whatever, and not be seen.

budtripp

Quote from: JLH on April 02, 2017, 09:13:05 PM

In my opinion, a bird with a bow and no blind is equal to 20 with a gun....

Wouldn't go that far.  1 bird with a bow....possibly dumb luck. 20 birds with a shotgun there's some skill involved to be consistently successful

fallhnt

^^^Said the guy who has never killed a turkey with a bow.

Sent from my SM-G930V using Tapatalk

When I turkey hunt I use a DSD decoy

budtripp

Quote from: fallhnt on April 03, 2017, 05:28:54 AM
^^^Said the guy who has never killed a turkey with a bow.

Sent from my SM-G930V using Tapatalk

Wrong, I've killed 5 or 6 with a bow. 3 without a blind. Try again buttercup

Bowguy

Gonna be tough going without one. You need a good scenario such as stated earlier. A bird stepping behind cover. You'd have to pass more birds but hence the challenge. If you're ok w less options to shoot go for it

MKMGOBL

Only in the fall with the bow and I have taken several. I hunt them all on the ground using natural cover to go after them. The only blind hunting (turkey or deer) I do is with my sons. For me...I can't stand hunting turkeys from a blind waiting for one to walk by me whether I'm calling them or just sitting there. Too many times I need to adapt to the situation and a blind wouldn't allow for that. Now hunting fall birds I tend to miss a lot of opportunities due to trying to draw with several sets of eyes in the fall flocks but that what makes it such a rush ;D Again, this is just me and how I feel personally.
"Luck Happens When Preparation Meets Opportunity"