OG Gear Store
Sum Toy
Dave Smith
Wood Haven
North Mountain Gear
North Mountain Gear
turkeys for tomorrow

News:

registration is free , easy and welcomed !!!

Main Menu

Leopardwood pot issues

Started by Disney, April 01, 2017, 05:15:42 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Disney

I'm a new member but have made calls for many years. I don't have a lathe and buy precut pots. I decided to do a fancy one with Leopardwood. Well the leopard wood seems like crazy stuff. It's so hard it's like marble and chips if I use a wet sanding sponge on a drill mandrel, along the bottom edge.There were already chips there when I received it. I was afraid it would splinter.That's why I thought wet sanding would work because of the hardness. Now I'm sanding by hand with 60 grit Aluminum oxide to get alot of milling marks off along with the chip marks.It's not helping much.. I intend to gradually work up to a finer grit until I can wet sand. At some point I'd like to get it back on the drill.
Any suggestions to help with the chips? Am I going in the best direction with my sanding process. Is 60 grit too coarse?I want to switch to 150 and see if I can do better.
I never saw wood like this. One one hand it looks like compressed, glued sawdust, then it's as hard as marble. Thanks for any suggestions.  I jumped into the fire on this one lol
Maker of Timber Tune Custom made pot calls. Fine domestic and beautiful exotic wood.
timbertunes126@gmail.com

mmclain

Coat the chipped area in thin CA glue.  Let dry.   You should not ever need 60 grit. 

misfire

Quote from: mmclain on April 02, 2017, 10:12:31 AM
Coat the chipped area in thin CA glue.  Let dry.   You should not ever need 60 grit.

This ^^^^^
Pray as if everything depends on God, work like everything depends on you

www.misfiregamecalls.net