turkeys for tomorrow

News:

only use regular PayPal to provide purchase protection

Main Menu

#1 and #2 for the year

Started by Sixes, March 31, 2017, 01:21:18 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Sixes

I work an odd schedule that includes some weekends so I wasn't able to start my Georgia season until Wednesday. After getting off work at 630 Wednesday morning, I went home, napped a couple of hours and drove down to my lease 90 miles away. Got there with the plan to scout a bit, mainly for the next morning since it was 87 degrees when I arrived.

Bird #1.
Our club has a gasline that runs for about a mile through the middle of our lease and we always plant the gasline in the fall for deer and turkey. The gasline is very green and full of clover. While easing along a section that is flat and then drops off steep, I got toward the dropoff and saw a gobbler strutted and looking the other way at the bottom of the hill. I slowly backed up about 30-40 yards and got off to the side of the gasline. I donned my headnet and pulled out a ceramic Daybreak and made 3-4 soft yelps and the bird gobbled back. I made a couple of soft purrs and sat the call down. Within 2 minutes, I saw the gobbler's head coming over the hill onto the flat. When he got within 30 yards or so looking for his girl, I shot him. Very lucky on how it all played out, especially that he happened to be facing away from me when I first saw him.

Bird #2
The next morning, I waited on the gasline in another area of the club and heard the bird gobbling from the roost and very close to the gasline. I setup about 100 yards away and waited only making a very soft call to let him know close to where I was. I heard him fly down and I made a few yelps on the Daybreak. I saw him come out on the gasline strutting and gobbling. I waited and then made another series of light yelps. After a while, he finally started my way and when he topped the hill and came into view, the second for the year was on the ground.

J.D. Shellnut

Very nice birds! I killed my first one of the year Monday and it happened the EXACT same way yours did! My best bird to date spur wise both were a little over 1.5" with a 10.5 beard.
60% of the time it works every time!

rbreedi1

Thunder Ridge Totes

wcerin

Nice!!! Congrats on a pair of beauties!
"Hard work spotlights the character of people: some turn up their sleeves, some turn up their noses, & some don't turn up at all."

Dukejb

Congratulations! Those are two fine looking birds.

jmart241

tha bugman

Greg Massey

Dr Juice

Congrats - nice birds. What are their specs?

CT Spur Collector

boomer

Lucky_Strutter

Congrats on two nice birds! Trying hard to fill my last tag before I head off to Missouri.
The Great White Spur Hunter

MISSISSIPPI Double beard

Gonna be hard to beat that, congrats
They call him...Kenny..Kenny

Gold Spur

Congrats, looks like you're having a great season... :icon_thumright: :icon_thumright:
Woo Pig Sooie!!!

Drthorn