turkeys for tomorrow

News:

only use regular PayPal to provide purchase protection

Main Menu

Best Youth 20 GA

Started by coonhunter, March 31, 2017, 09:32:07 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

coonhunter

I'm looking for a good option for my 8 year old son.  Don't want to break the bank either.  Was thinking the 870 youth or mossberg bantam?  Also I found a "Hatfield" semi auto youth for $249?  He is familiar with shooting and right now we have borrowed a 870 wingmaster light weight.  Just a little front heavy.
Whats yall's thoughts? 
Joshua 24:15

surehuntsalot

either the 870 youth or the Mossberg are going to be your best choice, if you are planning on adding scope or sight system the nod would go to the Mossberg as it comes already drilled and tapped
it's not the harvest,it's the chase

g8rvet

I am partial to the 870 and like a pump for the young uns, but that is just me. 

I put some truglo rifle sights on my son's and he killed his first bird with it.  15 years later I have it set up for his sister.  It is a 30 yard killer with Federal HW and a Remington full choke.  I wanted a more forgiving pattern for closer in.  It is poison with a Trulock choke at 40 yards.  160+ in the 10" at 40 yards.  I put a limbsaver on it for her, since she is grown and it fits her perfect. 
Psalms 118v24: This is the day which the Lord hath made; we will rejoice and be glad in it.

sswv

I'm a BIG 870 fan but I found a Charles Daley 20ga youth last year for a friends son and it's laid out exactly like the 870 but, just a bit lighter. It is a shooter. The little Mossberg's are fine youth guns also.

ALfwlmth

X 2 on the CD Youth Auto 20. These little guns are sweet shooting and they don't have much recoil at all.  My son has been shooting his for a few years and he loves it.  Prolly the best thing I like about it is how balanced it feels when the kids shoulder it.  Plus I use it in the turkey woods.  Weighs a fraction of what my turkey gun weighs.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

savduck

Weatherby sa08 youth. The semi auto action will take some of the thump out and its a known killer.
Georgia Boy

NFW

Youth 870 he'll  have it forever and it'll never break.

Swampchickin234

870.  Options are endless.   

surehuntsalot

Quote from: surehuntsalot on March 31, 2017, 09:56:32 AM
either the 870 youth or the Mossberg are going to be your best choice, if you are planning on adding scope or sight system the nod would go to the Mossberg as it comes already drilled and tapped

I also like the safety on the Mossbergs
it's not the harvest,it's the chase

sasquatch1

870, please don't get a Charles daily, in the end u will regret it, as the receivers will wear out and give you nothing but problems. They are a sweet little gun, but if it's shot a lot it won't last.

Natty Bumpo

Quote from: Swampchickin234 on April 02, 2017, 10:29:03 PM
870.  Options are endless.   

2+

Put a REM Turkey choke in that 870 plus some HW #7s, and go hunting. No worries.   :agreed:

coonhunter

Well I pulled the trigger and got him a 870 express full camo!  Got it for $367.  The wood stock was cheaper but the recoil pad was terrible and the length of pull was like 1/2" longer.  The one I got has a super cell on it and I think it's real tree Hardwoods camo?  So now to get a choke.  I may try the full with the fed heavy weights to see how they pattern..

coonhunter

g8rvet

Get some 7.5 bird shot and let him have some fun shooting it. Light recoil.   Let Dad do the patterning with the Federals.  If he is not recoil shy, let him make the final tune up. 

Oh yeah, 
Psalms 118v24: This is the day which the Lord hath made; we will rejoice and be glad in it.

Izzyjoe

That's one proud little fellow right there!