turkeys for tomorrow

News:

only use regular PayPal to provide purchase protection

Main Menu

Longbeard failure must see

Started by Fl strutter, March 29, 2017, 03:24:38 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Fl strutter

The resin didn't come apart while I was patterning my gun and the result was a slug hole. Makes me leary of them. Has anyone else seen this happpen?

Sent from my SCH-I545 using Tapatalk

Fl strutter

This was same day, gun, and choke but different lot#.

Sent from my SCH-I545 using Tapatalk

allaboutshooting

It happens. The resin is supposed to fracture upon upset but there are times when it does not and you may see that "slug hole".

Thanks,
Clark
"If he's out of range, it just means he has another day and so do you."

Tennessee Lead

I'm having trouble with a box of Longbeards that have pellets rattling around inside. The pattern is big and not dense like a shell that doesn't rattle.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Rzrbac

I had a similiar experience with Winchester many years ago.  They weren't longbeards, I believe they were Surpemes. I bought several brands of shells to find what patterned the best.  My first shot from the Winchesters at 40 yards left very little pattern but the shot cup was stuck in the plywood with a lot of shot jammed in it kind of like a slug. The rest of that box seemed to pattern well so I hunted with them. I shot a gobbler with them and I believe the same thing happened again.  He was about 30 yards and had huge hole through his neck as if he had been shot with a high powered rifle.

I've steered away from Winchester shells since then but I know people that absolutely love them and get good results. 

coyote1

A choke with wad stripper rings should prevent that. I use a hevi 13 choke with rings, put about 6 boxes of long beards through it without any problem.

Fl strutter

The jebs has wad stripper rings the resin didn't come apart. Looked like a slug hit the metal backstop not the wad

dirt road ninja

The question is with opportunities on birds being what they are - are you willing to gamble?

Coop1082

Shoot a Pure Gold .670 out of a BPS and been through 4 box of LB #5s without that particular issue. I will say I have shaken the shells and heard loose shot and those particular shells not perform as well as normal, but still dead turkey. Hope I'm not jinxing myself I am completely aware this could be a problem especially with the resin. Just gotta roll that dice I reckon!  :-\
CRUSADERS
2016-2017-2018-2019 four time Old Gobbler Contest Champions

[/img]

davisd9

Quote from: dirt road ninja on March 29, 2017, 08:50:13 PM
The question is with opportunities on birds being what they are - are you willing to gamble?

Good point! Not me.

"A turkey hen speaks when she needs to speak, and says what she needs to say, when she needs to say it. So every word a turkey speaks is for a reason." - Rev Zach Farmer

Fl strutter

EXACTLY!!! I'm shootin hevi shot

SKFOOTER

Quote from: Tennessee Lead on March 29, 2017, 04:38:05 PM
I'm having trouble with a box of Longbeards that have pellets rattling around inside. The pattern is big and not dense like a shell that doesn't rattle.

That likely means that the resin has already fractured in those shells.

Longshanks

Quote from: dirt road ninja on March 29, 2017, 08:50:13 PM

That what was I came to with Win LB's. Had several patterns cut in half and also shot a turkey that looked like I shot him with a slug. More consistent results with other loads. Not to mention the consistent results I got with LB's were baseball size patterns at 20-25yds.

coyote1

Quote from: Fl strutter on March 29, 2017, 06:48:03 PM
The jebs has wad stripper rings the resin didn't come apart. Looked like a slug hit the metal backstop not the wad

My bad. I thought for sure the rings would act as a secondary fracture for the resin. I hope this never happens to me when i pull the trigger on old tom.

Philippe

Why not contact Winchester/Olin and make a report and give them the lot numbers you bought. They will replace them and it may help them uncover what the issue was so it does not happen in the future.