OG Gear Store
Sum Toy
Dave Smith
Wood Haven
North Mountain Gear
North Mountain Gear
turkeys for tomorrow

News:

registration is free , easy and welcomed !!!

Main Menu

What is?

Started by tha bugman, March 29, 2017, 12:35:37 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Snood Life

Now defintily now..... didn't kill one last spring. Called one up Saturday. And you guessed it, missed. Guess I was to fired up. Wife always tells me I get over excited.  I keep trying to tell her I just have to control it better sometimes  :) if I didn't get excited I wouldn't go. Maybe this Saturday will break the slump!!!

Rio Fan

Back in 2003 I had 5 or 6 straight trips to the woods where I didn't hear a single gobble. I finally killed a bird the next time I hit the woods.

dublelung

Definitely last year. It was one of only two years I didn't kill a Mississippi gobbler since I killed my first one in 1984. To make it worse I missed the same gobbler twice on two consecutive days. Glad that slump is over!

High plains drifter

My first five years, when I didn't know anything, I didn't even see a gobbler. I shot a few hens in the fall.Then I started to figure it out, and started getting gobblers.I didn't know they could see, and hear, from 300 yards away, or more.The last 8 years, I have rubbed out several really good birds, but yeah, my first 5 years, I was in a slump.

surehuntsalot

4 year stretch that I'm on now
it's not the harvest,it's the chase

g8rvet

My slump starts on opening day every year!  I used to be really discouraged until I killed one and have had 2 different years where I did not kill one.  Both years, my son or someone I was hunting with killed one that I could have if hunting alone, so I don't even count those.  I have learned over the years to enjoy the process more and worry less about the results.  But the end game is to tote one out and once I get one, I feel like it is all a bonus after that.  I killed one last year on the last day I could hunt in the AM.  Packed a lunch and was gonna stay until 1 (public ending).  I killed him about 9am.  As I was sitting and just enjoying the moment with him at my feet, another gobbler came to the setup as well (one per day on public).  Funny how that works.  It is terrible until it is awesome! 
Psalms 118v24: This is the day which the Lord hath made; we will rejoice and be glad in it.

High plains drifter

I agree, it's great to be out there in the woods. It took me several years to learn the woods.The last 7 years, have been good to me in the turkey world.You are right, it is all about the chase.

MK M GOBL

Well my first year I didn't kill one, but called one in for my buddy (same hunt), second year didn't draw a tag but called in one for my Dad, 3rd year I killed my first and then my 4th year I had my first miss but also called another in for Dad again (same hunt).

Since then "I have had some Luck"

MK M GOBL

Cut N Run

My drought began in 1982 and ran through 1985 when I first started hunting turkeys.  I had no idea what I was doing & got busted by a few that were working closer.  After that I got access to some really good private land, but I had to call for others who lacked calling skill and instinct.  I called in several birds for other hunters before I killed my first. By calling only and watching others hunt, it allowed me to sit back and observe, which made me a better hunter in the long run.   

For the first time in decades, I had an off year in 2012 where I got skunked.  I lost my lease a week before the season and had become so accustomed to hunting awesome private land that I had not taken the time to locate birds somewhere else.  Pretty much, everything that could go wrong that year, did.  I had to re-focus and get back to really hunting turkeys more than just shooting turkeys.  At the lease, I knew where the turkeys liked to travel and I knew favored strut zones and hang out places, which was easier to call birds to. I failed to realize at the time how hunting at the lease had caused my skill set to slip a little.

Jim
Luck counts, good or bad.

Fire652

2016 to now.  Had weather ruin two different out of state hunts.  Coyotes ruined all my instate hunts last year.  This year so far went to Georgia and only had jakes and a bunch of hens around hopefully next week in Oklahoma changed my current trends

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Gobblerjim

Down here in south Florida and only able to hunt public land. Opportunities are far and few with all the pressure from out of state hunters. Was able to draw a nice hunt this year. Which only happens every few years. Last day I was able to bust a jake. Only got 2 days left here for me. Gonna hit a central Florida romp and stomp. But then there's years that it seems the birds just walk in your lap. This years jake was the first bird I harvested in 3 years hunting down here. He tasted mighty fine. Mmmmm!!

Neill_Prater

Quote from: Ozarks Hillbilly on March 29, 2017, 07:01:49 PM
Spring of 1977 until the spring of 1982 took 5 seasons to kill my first bird. Had several chances and several blown opportunities and several flat out misses until I finally got my boot on the first ones neck.

You and I started hunting the same year! Got my first one the third season, in 1979. In 1980, I tagged out here in MO with 2 birds and was absolutely convinced I was an expert! :TooFunny: :TooFunny:

Forty seasons later, I am now convinced I am not.  ;)

tha bugman

Quote from: Neill_Prater on March 31, 2017, 09:49:44 AM
Quote from: Ozarks Hillbilly on March 29, 2017, 07:01:49 PM
Spring of 1977 until the spring of 1982 took 5 seasons to kill my first bird. Had several chances and several blown opportunities and several flat out misses until I finally got my boot on the first ones neck.

You and I started hunting the same year! Got my first one the third season, in 1979. In 1980, I tagged out here in MO with 2 birds and was absolutely convinced I was an expert! :TooFunny: :TooFunny:

Forty seasons later, I am now convinced I am not.  ;)
:TooFunny:  your not giving yourself enough credit!  40 years of hunting equates to alot of knowledge in my opinion.

catman529

I guess my first year solo, 2011, but I wouldn't call it a slump, I was just learning. I killed my first which was a Jake at 6 steps, couldn't kill another one that year, goofed up on some easy birds that should have died. Then my 2nd year was tough, but better. I tagged out but it took all season to do it. The following year, I tagged out in the first week, 4 birds in 4 hunts. Never will let that happen again, but it was fun while it lasted. The year after that (2014) was possibly my best season. Killed all my birds within a month on the same WMA and called up a bunch of other birds too that didn't get killed. 2015 was slow, poor gobbling, especially on the public land, but I killed my biggest birds, my first double beard and first triple beard on private land. Then last year was a great year, hunted some new spots by boat, missed a couple easy shots that still bother me to no end, but got a 4 beard on a WMA and tagged out late in the season.

Jbird22

2010 - Called in three birds and missed all three (3 separate hunts)
2016 - Called in my buddy's first and I missed on what woulda made it a double. Never came close again all season as the birds just did NOT cooperate for me.