turkeys for tomorrow

News:

only use regular PayPal to provide purchase protection

Main Menu

What is?

Started by tha bugman, March 29, 2017, 12:35:37 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

tha bugman

What is the worse slump you have ever been in?

kjnengr

Technically right now is my worst slump.  Out of my 7 years of turkey hunting I have killed a bird every year except 2013 and last year.  Every year since I started I have become more serious and hunt more than the last.  I put a lot of effort into last year and got onto some birds, but they were either too far or jakes.  However, things are looking up and although I haven't been successful yet, this year looks VERY promising.

Happy

One year. I only got to hunt a few days and dedicated them to one bird. I could have killed him the last day but it wasn't on terms I was agreeable with. I let him walk and don't regret it.

Sent from my SM-G800R4 using Tapatalk

Good-Looking and Platinum member of the Elitist Club

turkey harvester

Last year for me. First time in 26 years I didn't get one. Sure was a lot of people hunting the private I was on. Problem was I'm the only one that had permission.
TURKEY NUT CUSTOM STRIKERS- Jeffrey Thompson-Owner.  Kathleen,GA
Hunt with your kids, not for them.

Hunt with your kids, not for them.

snapper1982

My first year took me 3 weeks to kill one.

Spitten and drummen

Last year , killed a bird opening day and thought man im gonna be on a roll. I hunted over half the season. Did not work another bird until the last weekend and ended up killing him the last day of season at 1pm.
" RANGERS LEAD THE WAY"
"QUEEN OF BATTLE FOLLOW ME " ~ INFANTRY
"DEATH FROM ABOVE " ~ AIRBORNE

guesswho

From May 15th to March 15th.  Other than that maybe six hunting days.
If I'm not back in five minutes, wait longer!
BodonkaDeke Prostaff
MoHo's Prostaff
Do unto others before others do unto you
Official Member Of The Unofficial Firedup Turkey
Calls Prostaff

allaboutshooting

My worst slump was the season after I killed my first turkey. Maybe I thought it would be easy after that and maybe it took me a while to figure out that it would not be any easier than it had been. As I recall, I was able to kill at least one bird that season and maybe a couple. After that I was able to relax more and really enjoy the whole experience.

Thanks,
Clark
"If he's out of range, it just means he has another day and so do you."

wvmntnhick

Quote from: guesswho on March 29, 2017, 01:41:33 PM
From May 15th to March 15th.  Other than that maybe six hunting days.
Right on!

I've had some bad ones for sure. Had a banner year about 10 years ago and then went 3 years without a spring bird. Still killed birds in the fall but not a spring bird. My time was quite limited during that time frame so that didn't help. I plan to not let that happen again.

Greg Massey

Last year it took me almost the whole season to kill the boss bird. He keep a hen with him all season until i killed him. What was great about getting him i was using my new 20 gauge 870 i had built...

Farmboy27

I guess I'm in it now. Didn't kill a spring bird last year. (Got a nice one in the fall). Last spring broke a streak of 23 years of getting at least one spring gobbler. Not even looking forward to this season. Just not seeing birds, or finding signs. But who knows. New season, new hope!

guesswho

I hope you break your previous record.   Stay after them and good luck!
If I'm not back in five minutes, wait longer!
BodonkaDeke Prostaff
MoHo's Prostaff
Do unto others before others do unto you
Official Member Of The Unofficial Firedup Turkey
Calls Prostaff

Ozarks Hillbilly

Spring of 1977 until the spring of 1982 took 5 seasons to kill my first bird. Had several chances and several blown opportunities and several flat out misses until I finally got my boot on the first ones neck.

Fullfan

About 3 days and then I killed him.  As long as I can remember I have never has a spring season where I did not kill several long beards.
Don't gobble at me...

mtns2hunt

Probably my first 4 years. Couldn't kill one or really get on one. Relative said I was like a young pup. Plenty of enthusasum and energy but no skill or knowledge. Another relative had scattered a gang the previous evening (fall hunt). We settled on a spot, did a little tree talk and a few clucks. Was answered immediatly and a hen flew down. It was an eye opener to me. Killed a gobbler that Spring and every Spring there after except one with a few Fall birds thrown in. Over the years I have slowed down my hunting but still love to run and gun but I kill many more birds. Would probably kill less but love to eat them.
Everyone wants to be successful - some just need help.