turkeys for tomorrow

News:

only use regular PayPal to provide purchase protection

Main Menu

Not too enthused about my experience...

Started by deerbasshunter3, March 28, 2017, 11:48:28 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

deerbasshunter3

UPDATE: David emailed me back, and it turns out that the calls had already shipped, but the tracking details were not uploaded due to order volume. My PayPal claim has been cancelled, so all should be well. I did not intend to bash anybody (I hope that is not what anybody got from my post), just needed to vent, I guess...

The calls should be here soon, and I am looking forward to trying them out.

EKyhookr

Always better to call and check with someone before going to public forum and criticizing their business. These guys that build custom calls are turkey hunters. It's getting to be turkey season across the country. Have to take that into consideration when ordering custom calls. Good luck with your new calls. All halloran calls are great.

compton30

If I spent that much money on calls and didn't even receive a simple confirmation email regarding the order I'd be publicly complaining as well. That goes for anything I order from anywhere. There's a reason it's a standard.

EKyhookr

A public forum is not the place to complain. Make a phone call and ask. Every time I've called halloran he personally has answered the phone. Just not the way to go about it IMO. Bash someone then get an email saying your order has shipped and now it's all good for you, but what damage have you done to the business reputation

outdoors

What I don't understand, is why do people wait for the worst time,, IN SEASON,, To order ..........
Sun Shine State { Osceola }
http://m.myfwc.com/media/4132227/turkeyhuntnoquota.jpg

noisy box call that seems to sound like a flock of juvenile hens pecking their way through a wheat field

jed clampett

I wish I would hear something on the limited edition halloran box ...ordered by email ..been 6 weeks haven't heard a thing..was suppose to hear something 1 week after ordered

deerbasshunter3

Although it was not my intention to bash anybody, I am afraid that maybe it came off that way. As I told David in an email, after I had not heard anything within a week, I was under the impression that my order was not received, and PayPal charged me anyways, which is why I opened up a dispute (to get my money back). Once he was able to respond to my email, everything was cleared up and all is well.

What I will say is that, regardless of time of season, if an item is sold on a website, and it is obvious that certain websites are not just "small-time" business websites (if that makes any sense), one expects to at least hear back that their order has been received. When I did not hear anything back, nor get a reply from an email, I decided that I needed to do something to get my money back, as I was under the impression that something went wrong in the process.

As far as ordering "in-season" goes, when you order from a website, you expect things to work as they would "off-season," if that makes sense. Maybe I/we are just spoiled, I don't know...

Anywho, I have heard nothing but good things about Halloran calls, so I am looking forward to trying them out.

HFultzjr

In my opinion, wait time is another topic. Not a bad one, but a different one.
The issue I see is CONFIRMATION!
If I order something from ANYONE and see my Paypal gets charged and I don't even get a CONFIRMATION of the order being received, I'd start to worry also.
At least confirm you got my order, as for the shipping time, I'll work with you.
If you are away, sick, etc. have a backup to at least CONFIRM order was received.
Just my honest opinion and not bashing anyone.

TauntoHawk

I think this is a great example of why many call makers won't have a website and when they do they don't allow online ordering. You simply can't apply the same rules to custom call makers as other retail products, website or not they will not work like Amazon. Most of them have fulltime job, families, as well as being avid turkey hunters. Call building might just be a hobby they try and share with us but tech skills and communication are not always on their list of attributes. 

Somethings I've learned through my dealings, regardless of website I always call with my order even if it takes a while to get in touch. Makes it much more personal for both of you, I've also changed my mind on what i wanted/needed based on talks with the actually person building the calls. It always benefits to talk to the guy.

If you want something quick, go to Midwest supply or Mack PW those are businesses. In stock designations, customer services lines, confirmation emails the whole 9 and ship fast.

Always expect wait times, if you do place orders in the spring or during season, expect longer waits and slow communication, these boys are ate up with turkey hunting and could be traveling, I tried for weeks on end to get a hold of Scott Basehore once only to later find out he guides out of state. I've told call makers to not even worry about my orders until their seasons are done if I do order mid season.
<blockquote class="imgur-embed-pub" lang="en" data-id="l4hWuQU"><a href="//imgur.com/l4hWuQU"></a></blockquote><script async src="//s.imgur.com/min/embed.js" charset="utf-8"></script>

wcerin

Quote:

As far as ordering "in-season" goes, when you order from a website, you expect things to work as they would "off-season," if that makes sense. Maybe I/we are just spoiled, I don't know...

Not trying to be confrontational but I don't think you are understanding here, these call makers are one man operations. The wait time with some of these callmakers is a LONG time. There websites are setup for so you can find them and order product. As a small custombait business owner I can tell you it costs a lot of money to keep a website going. To have an automated email for every order is a large expense for a small business owner. I can assure you as you are getting the conformation from Paypal that you paid someone at that very same time they are receiving an email from Paypal with your order.  If you want mass produced with automated emails you have the option to buy from the big box stores. When you are dealing with small one man operations doing large volumes you have to exercise a little patience. These people have not built the reputations they have from ripping people off. So I guess what I am trying to say is cut them a little slack, especially this time of year. Just my opinion.
"Hard work spotlights the character of people: some turn up their sleeves, some turn up their noses, & some don't turn up at all."

deerbasshunter3

Aside from all of this, the average turkey hunter, or those who are just starting out (probably not a regular on OG) likely does not know who is a small-time call maker and who is the owner of a "big" turkey call company. That being said, when they go to a website to order some calls to try, they are under the assumption, and rightfully so, that the website that they are at will operate like any other product-selling website.

I have been around long enough that I know that Halloran is a custom call maker, who is not as big of a business as, say, Primos. Yes, I am sure that his calls are better. Yes, I am sure that his calls are more widely sought, by those in the know, than, say, Primos. That being said, when I go to a website, and can order a product (again, assuming it is a small order, in this case a combo of three mouth calls), the least that I expect/assume is a confirmation email. In this case, the owner was busy with a large volume of orders, and did not get the shipping information uploaded. I NOW know that, so all is well.

At the time, I was under the assumption that my order did not go through, even though PayPal charged my account. I simply filed a claim with PayPal in order to get my money back. Yes, the call makers work hard, especially this time of year, but let's not forget that I (as well as others) also work hard for my money. So, when I am charged for a product, but do not hear anything about my order going through, I am going to do what I need to do to get that hard earned money back.

For the record, I am not/was not under the impression that I was being "ripped off." I was merely under the impression that my order did not go through. Couple that with not being able to get ahold of anybody, and I feel as though I acted appropriately as a consumer spending money.

Now, with all that being said, I now have three calls from Halloran on the way, and three calls from Hooks on the way. Merry Christmas to me!!!

mrclif

Hard to beat Hook's IMHO

Sent from my SM-G900V using Tapatalk

boatpaddle

The impatience comes from the instant access our lives are filled with these days.....

Recognize
Adapt
Overcome

HFultzjr

Quote from: boatpaddle on March 29, 2017, 08:05:54 PM
The impatience comes from the instant access our lives are filled with these days.....

Isn't that the truth!
I clicked on quote to reply to your message and it must have taken at least 3 seconds to show up......LOL
Glad everything worked out for the OP.
:funnyturkey:

Greg Massey

Quote from: deerbasshunter3 on March 29, 2017, 11:52:31 AM
Aside from all of this, the average turkey hunter, or those who are just starting out (probably not a regular on OG) likely does not know who is a small-time call maker and who is the owner of a "big" turkey call company. That being said, when they go to a website to order some calls to try, they are under the assumption, and rightfully so, that the website that they are at will operate like any other product-selling website.

I have been around long enough that I know that Halloran is a custom call maker, who is not as big of a business as, say, Primos. Yes, I am sure that his calls are better. Yes, I am sure that his calls are more widely sought, by those in the know, than, say, Primos. That being said, when I go to a website, and can order a product (again, assuming it is a small order, in this case a combo of three mouth calls), the least that I expect/assume is a confirmation email. In this case, the owner was busy with a large volume of orders, and did not get the shipping information uploaded. I NOW know that, so all is well.

At the time, I was under the assumption that my order did not go through, even though PayPal charged my account. I simply filed a claim with PayPal in order to get my money back. Yes, the call makers work hard, especially this time of year, but let's not forget that I (as well as others) also work hard for my money. So, when I am charged for a product, but do not hear anything about my order going through, I am going to do what I need to do to get that hard earned money back.

For the record, I am not/was not under the impression that I was being "ripped off." I was merely under the impression that my order did not go through. Couple that with not being able to get ahold of anybody, and I feel as though I acted appropriately as a consumer spending money.

Now, with all that being said, I now have three calls from Halloran on the way, and three calls from Hooks on the way. Merry Christmas to me!!!
It's your hard earned money, no reason you can't question you order. Glad it all worked out. We can't never have enough calls...