only use regular PayPal to provide purchase protection

Main Menu

Radios and partner hunting

Started by RiverRoost, March 26, 2017, 04:42:00 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

CMBOSTC

Quote from: spaightlabs on March 27, 2017, 04:38:11 PM
Quote from: taylorjones20 on March 27, 2017, 03:22:17 PM
We use our iPhones and bluetooth headsets to communicate if we need to.  Some of y'all are going crazy on this subject.  If you want to use technology to communicate with one another while hunting, then by all means do so.  Quit being so negative to everyone who doesn't hunt the same way you do.

Unfair advantage... Good grief...  Just go hunting the way you want to hunt.

Read slowly this time...

It is ILLEGAL in many states.

You can't just go "hunting the way you want"...there are regulations.

Common sense must be applied here... pretty sure he didn't mean to go out and break the law!

chatterbox

I'm attached to a cell all week.....
When I hunt, the only communication I have is whispering to my son right next to me.

taylorjones20

Quote from: spaightlabs on March 27, 2017, 04:38:11 PM
Quote from: taylorjones20 on March 27, 2017, 03:22:17 PM
We use our iPhones and bluetooth headsets to communicate if we need to.  Some of y'all are going crazy on this subject.  If you want to use technology to communicate with one another while hunting, then by all means do so.  Quit being so negative to everyone who doesn't hunt the same way you do.

Unfair advantage... Good grief...  Just go hunting the way you want to hunt.

Read slowly this time...

It is ILLEGAL in many states.

You can't just go "hunting the way you want"...there are regulations.

Wow... some people...
Alive only by the Grace Of God

kjnengr

Disclaimer: I have never hunted a state with laws against using electronics to communicate.

I don't use a radio, but my buddy and I text each other during deer and turkey season.  Some of it is just to chit chat and let each other know what we are seeing/hearing.  Even if I don't see anything, I am glad to know that my buddy is having a little success. 

Some of it is for safety.  Get a text from my buddy - "Hey, I'm moving to the edge of the field" Ok then I know not to hunt the foodplot/field.

I have never thought being able to keep in touch with my buddy has given me an unfair advantage. 

And truthfully, with the turkeys I hunt, I need every advantage I can get.  :anim_25:

supremepredator

"Save the habitat,save the hunt"

Tail Feathers

Ol Tom just came out with the "Copter".  It's a vest that has a bag for a drone, and a special pocket for the controller. :TooFunny:
Love to hunt the King of Spring!

Ihuntoldschool

Turkey Hunting is a One Man Game.

RiverRoost

Quote from: Ihuntoldschool on March 27, 2017, 09:41:57 PM

I agree somewhat. I like to hunt by myself most of the time. But I also have a brother close to me and a father who like to hunt and it's good to go with each of them some and spend time together bc tomorrow or next turkey season isn't promised. I thought about the radio communication to talk a little crap when it's slow or communicate while a bird is slipping in

High plains drifter

Nowadays, everybody has a cell phone, but sometimes out in the boonies, there is no service, or its spotty.Radios come in handy, if somebody gets lost, which does happen.

Cut N Run

My two best friends in the world and I used radios with earbuds to chat during lulls or to let others know where we heard a gobble on my old lease.  Nobody ever got an unfair advantage over turkeys that I could tell and we never killed a bird because of using a radio.  We were able to head off trespassers a couple of times by confirming each other's position over the radio though.  It was also extra handy to keep track of when the others were going to head to the cabin to start cooking breakfast.

Turkey hunting may be a one man's game, but it can be enjoyed as a group in separate locations on the same property.  I'd rather know what & when my buddies are seeing activity, or who it was that just shot.

I sometimes text with friends of mine all over the country when we're all turkey hunting. Guys in Georgia, Texas, Alabama, Arkansas, Virginia, and Kentucky have no bearing on what is going on in North Carolina where I hunt.  I have definitely been busted by turkeys when texting.  Advantage turkeys, the way I see it.

Jim
Luck counts, good or bad.

High plains drifter

Quote from: spaightlabs on March 26, 2017, 05:31:54 PM
I'd say leave it - it's a good educational topic.

It isn't legal in a lot of states and most people probably have no idea.
it isn't legal in Montana, but now days, everybody has a phone. If somebody gets lost, you can get killed out there, by a lion, so better have something to call on.

greencop01

I can see this now, two game wardens checking a turkey hunter, ' you got a cell phone on you ?'. The turkey hunter replies yes' Give it up, illegal GPS while turkey hunting, illegal communication device while turkey hunting, illegal light while turkey hunting...c'mon guys where does it stop. It is a well known fact that about 15% or the turkey hunters in any given state fill all their tags during the season. The other 85% probably use decoys, reap, pop up blinds and the like, and are lucky to get one bird, if at all. When they realize its more important to have woodmanship and calling ability and scouting, then they give us real competition.  :popcorn:

We wait all year,why not enjoy the longbeard coming in hunting for a hen, let 'em' in close !!!

sixbird

I grudgingly use radios in case my buddy and I get separated. It's easier than walking a mile to say, meet me at the truck.
I refuse to use them to warn anybody that game is coming. I think it's illegal to use them to communicate game movement, in N.J. and I'm all for that. I look at them as an unfair advantage as some have said.
They do come in handy for logistics such as finishing a deer drive and calling everybody off of their post. Or telling the watchers that the drive has begun. For turkey hunting, to let your buddy know you're returning to the truck or some matter of communication such as that.
I could do without them and generally turn them off unless I need to say something such as I mentioned...
I suppose they have legit uses...They're limited...

owlhoot

Quote from: greencop01 on March 29, 2017, 07:15:19 PM
I can see this now, two game wardens checking a turkey hunter, ' you got a cell phone on you ?'. The turkey hunter replies yes' Give it up, illegal GPS while turkey hunting, illegal communication device while turkey hunting, illegal light while turkey hunting...c'mon guys where does it stop. It is a well known fact that about 15% or the turkey hunters in any given state fill all their tags during the season. The other 85% probably use decoys, reap, pop up blinds and the like, and are lucky to get one bird, if at all. When they realize its more important to have woodmanship and calling ability and scouting, then they give us real competition.  :popcorn:
This has what to do with radios???

High plains drifter

Quote from: Ihuntoldschool on March 27, 2017, 09:41:57 PM
. I agree, I've had my most success hunting by myself.Hunting with a n ethical friend, is ok too.