turkeys for tomorrow

News:

only use regular PayPal to provide purchase protection

Main Menu

Son's first bird Tennessee youth

Started by Poleaxe, March 25, 2017, 11:27:05 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Poleaxe

For years I snubbed my nose at turkey hunting until 3yrs ago and it has totally taken over every addiction I have had or ever thought about having. My son's 7 and I was wanting to take him last year but 1 we didn't have him a shotgun yet and 2 I worried about the recoil. I studied and took care of both of those and we both were so excited for this day to roll around. Got setup on the high Ridge they usually roost at and the wind picked up about 10-12mph right at daylight. I heard at least 3 gobble as they flew down but never heard another peep out of even a hen. We sat there for couple hours calling. Wind started to die and we got up eased out road 3 different spots and nothing. We packed up drove to the other side of the property and threw our gear on and walked out road on field edge and pulled out my mouth call (which I couldn't make a noise with last year but have practiced every day) and hit a 4 tone yelp medium tone and got cut off across the just inside the woods. We dropped right there. I saw 2 LB's coming out into field trying to find her like they wanted another yelp for the wind that had picked up. I gave it to them and he hammered and here they came. Then I caught a glance out of the corner of my eye and 2 Jakes we running in from our right. I knew his happy trigger finger couldn't wait. He had to much blood in his eyes and dropped the Jake 15yrds. 5in beard. Its a trophy to us. Never complained once about the recoil. I'm so proud of him. He's been handing out turkey feathers to everybody he knows.

Greg Massey

Gooserbat

NWTF Booth 1623
One of my personal current interests is nest predators and how a majority of hunters, where legal bait to the extent of chumming coons.  However once they get the predators concentrated they don't control them.

jmart241

slicksbeagles1

That's great a memory that will last for ever. Congrats young man.  :icon_thumright:

mossyhorn2

Looks like a fine turkey and a great story. Congrats!!!

Wrangler95

Give Thanks Unto The Lord,For He Is Good,His Love Endures Forever!

owlhoot

:icon_thumright: :icon_thumright:
Way to go young fella ! That's a good one!

Fullfan

Congrats young man, and now it begins...
Don't gobble at me...

Camo70

Rex

That's awesome!  Congratulations

Sent from my SM-G530R4 using Tapatalk

"'As surely as I live,' says the Lord,
'every knee will bow before me;
    every tongue will acknowledge God.'"         Romans 14:11

chatterbox

SteelerFan