turkeys for tomorrow

News:

only use regular PayPal to provide purchase protection

Main Menu

The Mushroom tube call strikes

Started by barry, April 10, 2011, 01:35:46 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

barry

It was a showdown in the fog this morning. My brother Andy and I got to the blind a little before 6 o'clock. After getting everything setup in the drizzling wet darkness I decided I was gonna catnap for a while cause I figured it would be a long time before we heard a bird in this soupy weather. Crows would interrupt my sleepy daze every now and then but for the most part I did some snoozin'.
7:30, a gobble, was I dreaming. Nope there it was again. I hit the mushroom tube call and he cuts me off. Again I call, same thing. Now we got a game.  Surprisingly he gobbled really good considering it was foggy as all getout. He finally works his way into view, gobbling all the way. At about 60 yards he starts struttin' and hangs up. For nearly 45 minutes he does his thing, I don't think he liked the struttin' deke. Finally 3 hens show up and they make a "B" line to the hen deke  and start purring really loud and pecking her head.  That did it! The tom could stand it no longer and he strutted on into range where the Win XR # 6's took him cleanly at 26 steps.
I can't take full credit for getting this bird in range, without the hens we may still be 60 yards apart in a standoff. One thing for sure the bird did answer the calls that came from the piece of art "Mushroom" Tube Call made by my brother. It is without a doubt one of the best sounding tubes I have ever had the pleasure to run. I had asked the guy who bought this call if he would let me use it this spring to call in a bird, he agreed. Wonder if he would mind if I kept it a few more weeks?
2 year old, 18 ½ lbs., 10 ½ inch beard

Talk about "jelly-head"... Win XR 6's do a number at 26 steps.

OLE RASPY

M,Yingling

Not taking orders for calls at this time ,,,but my have some on hand  ,,,I Dont sell strikers
I do like copper pot calls,,,,Get them While u can
My YouTube
https://www.youtube.com/user/CallerTurkey

cannonball

BOFF

Great hunt Barry!!

Neat looking call. Can we get some close ups of the call?

God Bless,
David B.

TRKYHTR

You are my hero. Great turkey.

TRKYHTR
RIP Marvin Robbins

[img]http://i261.photobuck

Ol'Mossy

hobbes

BigHooks

Hognutz

Way to go, Barry. Very nice story. Very nice bird. The pictures are A-1, as usual..Mike :you_rock:
May I assume you're not here to inquire about the alcohol or the tobacco?
If attacked by a mob of clowns, go for the juggler.

NCTURKEYHUNTER

hookedspur

CRUSADERS
2016-2017-2018-2019-2020- 2021
Six time Old Gobbler Contest Champions

dirtywhite

congrats on a good bird and that is a neat looking call there  :z-guntootsmiley:
"Forgiveness is between god and them it's my job to arrange the meeting"

socalturkeyman

A shot not taken,is a shot missed!
Juan Galindo-Last Light Taxidermy