OG Gear Store
Sum Toy
Dave Smith
Wood Haven
North Mountain Gear
North Mountain Gear
turkeys for tomorrow

News:

registration is free , easy and welcomed !!!

Main Menu

Non Turkey related.... but lever guns

Started by 357MAGNOLE, March 25, 2017, 07:10:41 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

357MAGNOLE

Finally did it, found a pristine older Marlin 336CS. Serial number identifies it as being made in 1993.
Finally got my first!

She's chambered in .35 Remington, which I didn't know much about. It's a 200 grain bullet traveling over 2000 fps.... should do a fine job at dropping hogs under 200 yards.

She came with this nice little leather cover for the stock, the scope and mount, and about 50 rounds of .35 to get me started.

"The democracy will cease to exist when you take away from those who are willing to work and give to those who would not."--Thomas Jefferson

Bowguy

NCbowjunkie

Nice one there,always liked lever guns, I wish I had the 1st lever gun I had back. It to was a Marlin 336 in 30/30 ,it had a gold trigger and nice checkering. I let my brother in law have ,told him if wanted to sell it I wanted it first ,didn't happen! I have looking around for a Marlin or Winchester 357 lever gun that I can buy right , my son in law has a Winchester model 9410 lever  shot gun in 410  looks just like the old 94.

jordanz7935

You got a good one! Really nice shape. .35 rem is a great caliber with a lot of history behind it. Im sure it'll make a hell of a hog rifle, i know a few guys who love their .35's for deer.

longislandloco

Nice rifle, the .35 is a keeper for sure!
"A man ought to have a good shotgun, needn't be an expensive shotgun, just a good shotgun".....Old Moe

Greg Massey

I have one 44 mag.  great gun...also have another one cut down for a youth in 44 mag.

guesswho

Love the old lever actions.  I still have a 336 I bought new in 1976 for $79.   I still tote it if I go see or hog hunting.   Like a family member.
If I'm not back in five minutes, wait longer!
BodonkaDeke Prostaff
MoHo's Prostaff
Do unto others before others do unto you
Official Member Of The Unofficial Firedup Turkey
Calls Prostaff

catman529

Beautiful gun... I have always hunted deer with an older 336 in 30-30 150gr bullets and it puts a dang hurting on deer! Finally in December I bought a Ruger 308 for hunting big fields, and shot one at 150yd with that, but the 30-30 is always my favorite gun.

Tail Feathers

Nice find!
Those guns get smooth as silk over time.  Enjoy!
Love to hunt the King of Spring!

crow

nice looking rifle, and from a good time period for Marlins.
I hunt with a Marlin in .35 Rem. a good bit and have shot a number of deer and several bear with it. The .35 Rem. is one of those cartridges that performs better in real life than what it looks like on paper.

if you don't reload, factory ammo for it can be hard to find at certain times of the year, they only do seasonal runs now

there is a wealth of info on Marlin Owners Forum.com for both the model 336 and the .35 Rem
nice pickup, you got a great rifle

WisTurk

Awesome gun there!  I bought a Marlin in .35 Rem for my dad about 10 years ago and it's still one of his favorite guns he's ever owned and is his #1 deer rifle.  Still got my 1st ever deer rifle, a Marlin 30AS in .30-30 I bought used when I was 15.  It's a finicky gun as to what it likes to shoot, but that's one I'll likely never let go.

357MAGNOLE

Thanks for all the input!

I love the gun so far, the bluing is deep and in great shape. I'll have to stockpile some ammo as I can find it. Can't wait to get it zeroed in and in the field.
"The democracy will cease to exist when you take away from those who are willing to work and give to those who would not."--Thomas Jefferson

Cottonmouth

I had one just like it back in about '90 or so. Good shooting little gun. I wish I had it back.

shedhunta

I picked up the same gun a few years ago. Love it.  Check out the Hornady LeverRevolution ammo in 35 remington.  The ballistics blow other 35 rem rounds out of the water.  Those older ones are so much nicer than whats on the shelf now.

flintlockgirl

I have an original 336CS by Marlin 30-30. only shot it 1/2 doz times.Nice wood.