OG Gear Store
Sum Toy
Dave Smith
Wood Haven
North Mountain Gear
North Mountain Gear
turkeys for tomorrow

News:

registration is free , easy and welcomed !!!

Main Menu

Youth advice

Started by EKyhookr, March 25, 2017, 11:16:22 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

EKyhookr

How are you guys hunting with youths? I'm a ridge runner myself when I'm hunting solo or with a buddy but I will be taking my son next week and I'm afraid he won't be able to sit still. Is pretty much everyone throwing up a blind and staying in one spot? I was think of staying with my run and gun style and just throwing some of the burlap blind material around him, he'll be sitting in my lap if we're ground hunting.
Gotta throw in a pic of his gun. He's pumped about it, maybe as much as me!

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

EKyhookr

First pic didn't work

sparky153

It's really hard to beat a blind for taking kids out.  It allows them to do things they usually wouldn't be able to get away with and that makes it much more enjoyable.  Just my thoughts

EKyhookr

That was my thinking also, prob would be best to just go with the blind.

guesswho

I know if I had been taught from a blind I would probably have lost interest.   I learned pretty quick to sit still.  I'm glad I have memories of slip-assin around with my Dad instead of sitting in a tent.  I enjoyed sleeping in one but when it was time to go turkey hunting I wanted to hunt and not sit.

I'd ask your son which he would like to do and go that route.   Good luck whichever y'all decide on.
If I'm not back in five minutes, wait longer!
BodonkaDeke Prostaff
MoHo's Prostaff
Do unto others before others do unto you
Official Member Of The Unofficial Firedup Turkey
Calls Prostaff

TauntoHawk

Google mad Max blind.. just big enough to hide a kid behind  pretty easy to collapse and carry. and a built in shooting rest with some 3D camo material. I don't like full enclosed blind but will use this with especially fidgety kids. 

Sent from my XT1585 using Tapatalk

<blockquote class="imgur-embed-pub" lang="en" data-id="l4hWuQU"><a href="//imgur.com/l4hWuQU"></a></blockquote><script async src="//s.imgur.com/min/embed.js" charset="utf-8"></script>

1iagobblergetter

Couple of really nice looking guns...If he's old enough to keep up I would think your burlap idea would work. For my son we've had good luck with setting up a couple blinds in different areas and if one doesn't pan out after awhile than we head to a different one. It's a ritual for us. He gets a Friday out of school to travel to where we hunt stopping along the way at one of our favorite places to eat..Check into our hotel,set up a couple blinds,fish for awhile, etc anxiously awaiting Saturday..Alot of good memories...Good luck and know matter what you decide you cant go wrong your bonding and making memories..

g8rvet

Depends on his age.  My son took his first bird behind a little ground screen.  Gave me confidence that he would not spook a bird up close by moving hands.  His second bird, which was a gobbler better than any I have ever killed, was without a blind.  Called him to us on a foggy day.  Gobbling his head off and knew he was only 75 yards away, but could not see him. He just appeared out of the mist.  Most exciting hunt I have ever had for pure tension because I wanted him to kill a gobbler so bad.  He is now a grown man and killing them on his own.

I like the thought of asking him.
Psalms 118v24: This is the day which the Lord hath made; we will rejoice and be glad in it.

EKyhookr

Solid advice. I knew I stopped lurking and joined for a reason. I'm just gonna ask him this evening when I get home from work. Went scouting yesterday. Heard at least 10 different birds and saw 6 gooduns with a bunch of hens. Hopefully they'll be there next weekend

Happy

I try and have birds nailed down for them. Meaning fairly short walks and a good chance of some action. Occasionally I will use a single hen decoy to help them with where the shot will occur more than drawing in a bird.
No blinds or shooting sticks ect. If they wanna kill one then they have to do things right on their end. I am not big on coddling to much. I am not going to walk them to death but I am not gonna make the bird a gimme either. That and I pack lots of snacks.

Sent from my SM-G800R4 using Tapatalk

Good-Looking and Platinum member of the Elitist Club

turkeyfeathers

14 year old daughter will be going on her 2nd youth hunt this year. She can sit like an absolute rock but.....getting up at 3 am she tends to nod off occasionally so a blind helps me in hiding my movement of gentle elbow to wake her up lol.  She's a petite little thing so she utilizes shooting sticks too. I second the lots of snacks . Been taking her out scouting pre season for 10 plus years. She loves the woods . Good luck to you and your son.

JK Spurs

Been thinking of this topic as well. I'm going to take my daughter out on her first hunt and going to use a blind....never owned one so going out today to see what I can find. My question is what age did you get your kids out to hunt for the first time? My daughter is 6-1/2...little young but figured I'd get her out for a couple hours just to see her reaction to hunting. She's been begging to go for the last two years.
I like my turkey well peppered

Greg Massey

Why not have the best of both worlds, take a blind and fix it up in a nice area for a resting spot on up in the morning. That way he or she can have a rest and snacks and your still hunting. With a blind it's a great time to relax and teach calling skills with the kids. Put out a hen decoy and see if you can call a gobbler or a hen. Hens are exciting also to hear and learn from. If it's a little cool with wind blowing you have a place to get out of the weather and both of you can still enjoy the hunt. I feel it necessary in helping kids. I want kids to have interest in what dad does on his turkey hunts. For a kid walking around with dad for hour is like you hunting for 1/2 day. Most kids it's hard to find good walking shoes and adequate attire. So get a blind for those resting times and in helping him or her keep enthusiasm while hunting. Yes kids need to earn what they do or kill but a little help goes a long way. They have the rest of there life to grow up and learn form mistakes. Enjoying times with dad and enjoying stories and nature this day and time is life lessons..

1iagobblergetter

Quote from: JK Spurs on March 25, 2017, 01:43:03 PM
Been thinking of this topic as well. I'm going to take my daughter out on her first hunt and going to use a blind....never owned one so going out today to see what I can find. My question is what age did you get your kids out to hunt for the first time? My daughter is 6-1/2...little young but figured I'd get her out for a couple hours just to see her reaction to hunting. She's been begging to go for the last two years.
I think my Son was almost 7...he was also interested a couple years beforehand. I didn't expect much,but he did get a nice Bird.I let him dictate how long we hunted and kinda watched to make sure he was having fun and didn't get burned out.

Happy

I start mine at 8.

Sent from my SM-G800R4 using Tapatalk

Good-Looking and Platinum member of the Elitist Club