OG Gear Store
Sum Toy
Dave Smith
Wood Haven
North Mountain Gear
North Mountain Gear
turkeys for tomorrow

News:

registration is free , easy and welcomed !!!

Main Menu

Modified choke for turkey hunting?

Started by birdman561, March 24, 2017, 09:13:28 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

birdman561

Has anyone ever used one instead of a turkey choke? Both of my birds have been shot at very close distances this year. And I recently took a friend out who missed one at 10 yards. Then the next time the girlfriend missed one at 15 yards. My pattern is super tight at those ranges. It's like shooting a slug. And most of the woods I hunt are thick.

Greg Massey

Do you think if you change your point of aim, that want help in killing the bird ? Instead of going to mod. choke. What i'm saying is lower you aim on the bird. These new shells shoot pretty fast... Maybe look at a more open choke, but with that you give up distance..look at finding you that happy medium...

Happy

My son shot his first with an improved modified. If you keep it close then it works just fine

Sent from my SM-G800R4 using Tapatalk

Good-Looking and Platinum member of the Elitist Club

Farmboy27

My uncle (and turkey mentor) has killed almost all of his turkeys with a modified choked Ithaca shooting 2 3/4" shells. He's as serious of a turkey hunter as anyone but he's never seen a need for tight chokes or magnums. But whatever you do, don't aim low!  I made the comment of aiming for the top of the body some time back and got crucified for it!  Lol.

spaightlabs

I have a friend who is an outfitter who has shot nothing but a skeet choke the last 10 years.  Works for him - he is in a target rich environment and can pick his shot without any pressure.

Dtrkyman

blackmagic

my buddy couldn't get his mod choke out of his 870 the other day.  So I had him shoot his mod with steel 4's steel to tighten it up.  Also called the shot at 15 steps.  Dead bird.

fallhnt

Mod on my .410 works fine on em....with factory loads too.
When I turkey hunt I use a DSD decoy

MK M GOBL

We kill at the 15-17 yard range with the shotguns consistently , hard to think of a bird over 20 yards... We do have a scope on every gun, and we zero on target at 15 yards. We have patterned at 40 just so we know...

MK M GOBL

Ihuntoldschool

Choke depends on the range of your shots.  I would try full choke before I went as open as modified.  Having said that modified will probably be fine to 30-35 yards depending on your gun/load.   Inside 15 yards consider body shots, you have a little more room for error. 

High plains drifter

I like extra full, 3 inch copper plated mags.That being said, modified works well, in some guns. Do not go to imp cyl. Too open. The only bird I ever wounded, happened because I had my pheasant choke in, and didn't realize it.My mistake.

Tomfoolery

Quote from: blackmagic on March 24, 2017, 10:54:39 PM
my buddy couldn't get his mod choke out of his 870 the other day.  So I had him shoot his mod with steel 4's steel to tighten it up.  Also called the shot at 15 steps.  Dead bird.
shot a bird one time with steel by mistake. Ill never do that again on purpose. 3 shots and a sprang wrist later the bird finally died.

TRG3

I like to use a different shotgun for each of the three seasons I drew for Southern Illinois. This year I plan to use my Remington 870 20 gauge, LC Smith 12 gauge Damascus hammer double barrel, and a 11 gauge flintlock fowler. At the range, the bulk of the shot printed about 6" high at 25 yards for all of them, so I need to aim somewhere from the base of the neck or above. In the excitement of thing, I hope to remember that!

g8rvet

Killed my first spring bird at 25 steps with #5 high brass lead and a mod choke in an 870 12.  Quite dead.  Since then, I have learned about patterning more and know what my guns will do at what ranges.  My daughter's 870 youth 20 is deadly to 40 with the Trulock choke, but I have the Remington full in it for her and it is a 30 yard gun. I figured she needs a little more forgiveness in the pattern for tight shots, and we do get them sometimes. My son killed his first bird with that gun at 26 steps and the Rem full choke.  HW I believe.

Pick your load, gun and choke, shoot it on paper and know your range and then stick to it and you will be golden. 
Psalms 118v24: This is the day which the Lord hath made; we will rejoice and be glad in it.

30_06

I have an Ithaca 37 with a cylinder choke I use for hunting in the thick stuff. It is pretty much a 20 yard gun as the pattern spreads quickly!

Esse quam videri