OG Gear Store
Sum Toy
Dave Smith
Wood Haven
North Mountain Gear
North Mountain Gear
turkeys for tomorrow

News:

registration is free , easy and welcomed !!!

Main Menu

I didn't realize what I was missing!!!

Started by deerbasshunter3, March 23, 2017, 05:27:41 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

deerbasshunter3

So, I think the Legacy Lone Hen (2 reed batwing) sounds great, and I am good with it, but after hearing a live hen up close and personal the other morning, I realized how raspy hens, and a call could be and still be effective. That and the fact that the toms would only gobble at my cousin's calling Legacy Leading Lady (4 reed inverted "V"), I decided that I need to learn to use a 3 or 4 reed call with some rasp to it. So, I already have a Legacy Wild Hunter (3 reed "V" cut) and a Legacy Lost Legacy (3 reed ghost cut), and have been using them non-stop since the other day. I have my yelps down, but am still working on purrs. I was amazed at how easily I can cut on the 3 reed calls versus the 2 reed calls.

I like the ghost cut because it seems to have a dedicated clear front end turning into a raspy back end. I think that is going to be my go-to starter call when I can get onto public land on April 1st. I noticed the other day that my cousin only ever yelped, and he called in two birds, so I am not too worried that I can not purr on them yet. If I feel like I just have to cluck and purr, I will have my 2 reed calls with me anyways.

I ordered some Halloran mouth calls the other day (Serial Killer Pro Pack), and am looking forward to giving them a try. There is a 2 reed batwing cut (Natural Born Killer), a 3 reed batwing cut (She Devil) (really looking forward to this call!), and a 3 reed batwing/inverted "V" (Total Knock Out).

So, the point of my post is that I am glad that I have taken the time to learn to use different calls (both reeds and cuts). Thanks for reading through all of my rambling. Happy hunting!!!

Bowguy

Good to learn lots of calls but it's gonna be harder to purr on a. 4 reed call for a newer caller imo. Wanna say something else. Glad the raspy worked but it was one day n 2 birds. Something about it set em off.
Tomo a less raspy call might work better or a different type call. Not discouraging you just saying to keep your mind open. Nothing is learned w just a few birds liking em.
Most guys have a favorite but my advice would be don't pick one just yet

reynolds243

Hallorans mouth calls are my go to these days. He makes an awesome mouth call!

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

BHMTitan

Like your cousin, my primary call is Legacy's Leading Lady, and has been for about 3 years.  I have a few other Legacy diaphragm calls that sound good, but the Leading Lady works best for me.  I got tired of throwing money away trying other top rated call makers.  I stick with what works for me.