OG Gear Store
Sum Toy
Dave Smith
Wood Haven
North Mountain Gear
North Mountain Gear
turkeys for tomorrow

News:

registration is free , easy and welcomed !!!

Main Menu

Remington nitro turkey and kicks gt

Started by jbo225, March 21, 2017, 10:02:55 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

jbo225

Anyone else here shoot Remington nitro turkey with a kicks gt

Cottonmouth

Remington nitro is not well known for decent patterns past about 25 yds.

surehuntsalot

Quote from: Cottonmouth on March 21, 2017, 10:18:50 PM
Remington nitro is not well known for decent patterns past about 25 yds.

I'll second that, about all they are good for is tree rat hunting in my shotguns
it's not the harvest,it's the chase

Cottonmouth

If you want an inexpensive shell in that gun, get some Winchester xx #5's . Pretty impressive patterns out to 40 yds.

Gobble!

That's where I started years ago. A kicks gobblin thunder and Remington Nitro #4s. It killed birds but it does not come close to producing a good pattern past 30 yards.

allaboutshooting

Quote from: jbo225 on March 21, 2017, 10:02:55 PM
Anyone else here shoot Remington nitro turkey with a kicks gt
I don't know what gun you're using but that choke did very well with 3" WLB shells with 1 3/4 oz of #6 shot through a Mossberg 930 using the Win-Choke/Invector thread pattern.
Thanks,
Clark
"If he's out of range, it just means he has another day and so do you."

jbo225

Tom Foolery

I shoot an 870 with a Kicks .660.  The Rem Nitro might make it a 30yd gun.  Them and the Kent shells are the worst patterning turkey loads I've ever shot.

allaboutshooting

Quote from: jbo225 on March 26, 2017, 09:21:51 AM
ill be shooting it out of rem 870
The inside diameter of those barrels is very similar, so it should do well with the WLB shells.

Thanks,
Clark

P.S. I recommend that you "deep clean" the bore before you start your patterning session with the WLB shells https://allaboutshooting.com/blogs/blog/98772615-deep-cleaning-a-shotgun-barrel
"If he's out of range, it just means he has another day and so do you."

jbo225

So I was shooting it this past weekend thats no lie about the remington nitros they are a pile of turds that wouldnt pattern for anything

Longshanks

Winchester LB or Winchester XX, Super-X./ Kicks .655 or .660. Best lead set ups I have found out of my Rem 870's. 3" 6's worked the best. Patterned any number of 5's out of these guns with Kicks and never found what I was looking for at 40yds. Found great patterns at 30-35yds with 5's. Good luck.

Philippe

Toss those Nitros in the trash and get something else. I have patterned them out of about 40 different chokes across 4-5 different shotguns and I always get dismal results at best. Even the cheapy Federal Turkey Thug shells outperform them ten fold. Will the Nitro's do the job? Yep, but I wouldn't trust them past 20 yards.

Rzrbac

Many years ago I bought several brands and sizes of turkey shells to pattern with my 870 and kicks gt.  The Remington's were the worst,  I would trust them to 30 yards in that gun.

Izzyjoe

I've often wondered why they don't pattern very well, I cut one open and there's not a lot of buffering in them to amount to anything. And Remington usually makes a pretty good shells, but not these!

jbo225

Yeah I was shooting out of a 870 with 665 kicks gt would not pattern for nothing