turkeys for tomorrow

News:

only use regular PayPal to provide purchase protection

Main Menu

Daughters first shot

Started by Rex, March 20, 2017, 08:45:17 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Rex

My 11 year old daughter and I went out to shoot last weekend in anticipation of youth season next weekend. 
I thought she did pretty good with the youth model 870 20 gauge , Remington full choke.  2 3/4" #5 shot.

Sent from my SM-G530R4 using Tapatalk

"'As surely as I live,' says the Lord,
'every knee will bow before me;
    every tongue will acknowledge God.'"         Romans 14:11

Rex

Offhand at 20 yards

"'As surely as I live,' says the Lord,
'every knee will bow before me;
    every tongue will acknowledge God.'"         Romans 14:11

fallhnt

When I turkey hunt I use a DSD decoy

suburbhunter

Bowguy

Great shooting n good luck to her. I personally don't let beginners initially shoot turkey loads since they can develop a flinch. Don't overdue it n post her pic once she scores

Dtrkyman

great shot, may try some 7.5 shot, with the limited range of a light load you will get a better pattern with the small shot!  And it wont be an issue at ranges the pattern will hold up too.

surehuntsalot

it's not the harvest,it's the chase

Gooserbat

Quote from: Dtrkyman on March 20, 2017, 09:47:09 PM
great shot, may try some 7.5 shot, with the limited range of a light load you will get a better pattern with the small shot!  And it wont be an issue at ranges the pattern will hold up too.

I agree completely with the 7.5 shoot.  At close range (30 yards and under) it's deadly and the pattern density is so much better.
NWTF Booth 1623
One of my personal current interests is nest predators and how a majority of hunters, where legal bait to the extent of chumming coons.  However once they get the predators concentrated they don't control them.

wvmntnhick

Good luck to the young lady.

Muzzy61

Quote from: Rex on March 20, 2017, 08:45:17 PM
My 11 year old daughter and I went out to shoot last weekend in anticipation of youth season next weekend. 
I thought she did pretty good with the youth model 870 20 gauge , Remington full choke.  2 3/4" #5 shot.

That will leave a mark.....

Good luck t her, and hope you guys make a great memory.
Print by Madison Cline, on Flickr

mgm1955