only use regular PayPal to provide purchase protection

Main Menu

Too many hens????

Started by CoachK, March 19, 2017, 08:37:19 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

CoachK

Is there such a thing?

Could it cut down on gobbling?

I'd definitely rather have too many than none, but I'm beginning to think it's affecting the way gobblers behave on my property.
Am I crazy for thinking so?

Spurs Up

No...that's a too few gobblers problem.

stinkpickle

I've certainly felt that way before.  Calling in 10+ hens in one morning without a single male in tow would make one feel that way.  The toms keep gobbling, though.  They just stay out in the middle of the fields MUCH longer...

MK M GOBL

Never too many hens, were talking next years brood...

MK M GOBL

Greg Massey

It takes the hens to have the poults , be glad you have them...gobblers will come...nature has a way of taking care of it's self ....

Spitten and drummen

Hens make baby gobblers. We like to hunt gobblers. Calling a gobbler to us is against nature. Hens go to gobblers. When gobblers have hens they dont need to gobble. Hens when bred will start nesting leaving gobblers lonesome. Then gobblers come to calls. If there are 1000 hens on your place they will be bred making lots more turkeys. Hang tough , they will become killable after the hens start nesting.
" RANGERS LEAD THE WAY"
"QUEEN OF BATTLE FOLLOW ME " ~ INFANTRY
"DEATH FROM ABOVE " ~ AIRBORNE

owlhoot

Quote from: Spurs Up on March 19, 2017, 08:45:38 PM
No...that's a too few gobblers problem.
You might be surprised when a few more gobblers show up!

We had the same thing a few years ago and we were still wondering what the future held for that land and during the second half of the season five more gobblers showed up . There was only four to begin with. You never know .

CoachK

Thanks for the replies! Everything each of you has said, I've thought.

It's frustrating seeing reports from around the state, including my area, of turkeys "acting right", and mine still acting like it's mid January.

Dtrkyman

When out turkey numbers were at there peak it was hard to find a tom without hens all season long, and if he didn't have any you better get em quick!!! 

But I would gladly deal with that issue again!!!!

Fatbeard

Absolutely I have a farm now that I am watching. As of yesterday I watched 42 hens and 2 toms. They are very regular as in daily. Roost same ridge every evening. There was also a smaller group of 26 hens and 4 visual jakes and 3 Longbeards on opposite end of farm. They are routinely thru every 2 -3 days. During deer season I watched over 100 hens many days. So I say yes
East TN Beard Buster

Spurs Up

In a "natural" (think unhunted) or very lightly hunted population, you should expect to find more gobblers than hens. This is due mostly to hens being more vulnerable to predation during incubation and brooding.  Skewed numbers of hens might affect behavior but that really isn't a problem except in rare instances where hunting pressure is high and hunting begins before hens mate.

In view of this, some states start their seasons later and try to keep gobbler harvest to less than 50% of the tom population.

Tail Feathers

Those hens will stay near good nesting habitat.  The boys will find them. 
Love to hunt the King of Spring!

wvmntnhick

Keep with them. They'll eventually give in.

CoachK

Quote from: Tail Feathers on March 19, 2017, 09:31:40 PM
Those hens will stay near good nesting habitat.  The boys will find them.

This is the main thing I keep telling myself. We have very good nesting habitat

mgm1955

Quote from: Greg Massey on March 19, 2017, 08:55:15 PM
It takes the hens to have the poults , be glad you have them...gobblers will come...nature has a way of taking care of it's self ....
:icon_thumright: :icon_thumright: