News:

only use regular PayPal to provide purchase protection

Main Menu

To Blind or Not to Blind Opinions Please

Started by TyFlyer21, March 19, 2017, 02:33:59 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

TyFlyer21

Hello All,
Gearing up for the MN spring season. This is only my 2nd year of turkey hunting but the bug definitely bit me.

Our hunting group is as follows, My father, my son and myself.

We are in good shape regarding gear. My dad doesn't get around as well as he did so our style is mostly stationary.

I've been kicking around the idea of more gear such as vests, bags, decoys, etc. but then I realized a blind may be money better spent.

We hunt with shotguns for reference.

What are your opinions/recommendations about blinds?

It seems like a good investment if it suits your hunting style in terms of movement concealment, staying dry and so on.

Thank you!

TRG3

It still amazes me that turkeys don't seem to pay any attention to a blind that wasn't there yesterday but sticks out like a sore thumb today! That being said, I prefer my leafy camo outfit to a blind because it gives me better visibility; however, a blind covers up movement as well as provides comfort on cold/windy/inclement days as well as hopefully bug control. If your dad is having trouble getting around, a blind will certainly add some comfort to the hunt. Be sure there's a comfortable chair or two inside. A couple of years ago, a buddy took an elderly gentleman turkey hunting only to have difficulty setting up the pop-up blind. He sat up the blind in the middle of a dirt road that led to a grassy field. He said that it took several efforts to pop out the sides which resulted in quite a bit of noise, so he figured that the turkeys on the roost, about 200 yards away, heard him and would spook the other way when they flew down. Much to his surprise, they flew down and responded to this calling, resulting in the older gent taking a tom shortly thereafter. I've always felt that turkeys are very wary, but they aren't very smart.

Cutt

Depends on what type of hunting you want to do? I never was a blind person, as one of the most challenging and rewarding parts of turkey hunting to me is trying to dupe the bird by blending in with your surroundings rather than hiding. Sure you are going to booger some hunts with them busting you, but that's hunting and the challenging part it, which I personally don't want to eliminate.

Now if you are taking a fidgety kid, you might want to consider one? Or if you simply want to eliminate the extra challenge to make sure you kill everyone in range.

Marc

I tried to get my father out several times in the past, and although he could get around OK, his issue was sitting still on the ground uncomfortably for long periods of time.    We tried turkey loungers and chairs, at Cetra but sitting still long enough for a bird to come into us was problematic.

His hearing is not that great, so the excitement of hearing the turkeys gobble was lost on him, and sitting on the ground was extremely uncomfortable for him. Were I to do it again, I would've hunted from a blind where he can sit in a comfortable seat, and move around a bit.

For my own personal style of turkey hunting, a blind would not work at all. But when considering taking out young children, or fidgety adults, or even those suffering from any sort of chronic pain and discomfort, a blind is a great option
Did I do that?

Fly fishermen are born honest, but they get over it.

Greg Massey

If your still able to spend time with your dad, get you a blind and enjoy the time with him.. It's not always about killing a turkey..It has a lot to do with making memories and enjoying nature and sharing old time stories..So Yes get you a blind and get him a nice chair.  Don't listen to these people who think a blind takes away from the hunt. One of these days they will realize getting ready for the hunt is just as much fun..

Tail Feathers

I would recommend getting your Dad a gobbler lounger and using some some cutters to cut brush and make a natural blind as needed.  Comfort sitting is great and helps old bones a lot!  Hiding is pretty easy using what nature provides.

Love to hunt the King of Spring!

2eagles

I've got two blinds, a one man and a large one. Sometimes I don't use a blind. Sometimes I do. When I plan on going in a long ways, I don't use a blind because they do get hard to carry and you'll need a chair. On a short hunt I might not need a blind. I do hunt small public areas where the best way is to sit tight and wait'm out. One hunt I sat in my blind from before sunup until 5:30 PM when I finally got my Tom. I had out a decoy and called occasionally for a successful hunt. No way I could have done that leaned up against a tree. Nothing not sporting about using a blind.

stinkpickle

Minnesota breaks it up into several short seasons, right?  In that case, it's probably a good idea to have a blind handy to maximum your time in the field, in case you get a long string of rainy, cold days.  It's better to have one and not need it than not have one and need it.

WNCTracker

This is an opinion question. In my opinion, I wouldn't enjoy hunting from a blind with a shotgun. Or bow for that matter. I like the openness of being in the woods. Same for deer.

But if it meant getting out with my dad or kids I would not feel bad about using one in those circumstances.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Tom Threetoes

I've always been a run and gun turkey hunter and prefer to hunt that way, but sometimes you just have to adjust and be flexible. When I take the grand kids or when it's raining a blind is the ticket. When I hunt field turkeys sometimes an all day set is necessary, then the blind makes long sets possible because of comfortable chairs and snacks.

MK M GOBL

Quote from: Greg Massey on March 19, 2017, 03:46:42 PM
If your still able to spend time with your dad, get you a blind and enjoy the time with him.. It's not always about killing a turkey..It has a lot to do with making memories and enjoying nature and sharing old time stories..So Yes get you a blind and get him a nice chair.  Don't listen to these people who think a blind takes away from the hunt. One of these days they will realize getting ready for the hunt is just as much fun..

X2!!

I have a number of blinds and use them for a variety "hunts". Just another tool in the box, use it for when the situation calls for it.

PM sent

MK M GOBL

Cottonmouth

For fidgety kids and older hunters, I would definitely have a blind on hand. If money is an issue, you could always use some camo burlap and some wood stakes but a blind could save the day if it's rainy. Whatever it takes to keep your Dad comfortable and be able to enjoy the hunt. Welcome to the sport.

Vinci1964

One of my best hunts was from a ground blind in the middle of a LOUD thunderstorm. Every time it thundered those toms would gobble. In a driving rain He came from my left and I shot him at 10 yards. I would not have stayed if I did not have a ground blind. 

Just a warning. You do lose some sound and visibility when hunting out of a blind. Sometimes it's hard to hear which direction they are coming from. You just can't pinpoint them 

I give ground blinds a thumbs up although I enjoy hunting from the base of a tree more.

Kylongspur88

If your going to use a blind I'd also recommend using a decoy. They are a good tool for certain situations like hiding a fidgitting kid or even bow hunting birds.

guesswho

Quote from: Greg Massey on March 19, 2017, 03:46:42 PM
If your still able to spend time with your dad, get you a blind and enjoy the time with him.. It's not always about killing a turkey..It has a lot to do with making memories and enjoying nature and sharing old time stories..So Yes get you a blind and get him a nice chair.
I'm not a blind hunter, never have been and probably never will be.   And my 88 year old Dad refuses to sit in one, even with heart issues and bad back and he says he would rather be demoted to camp cook than hunt out of one.

But I have to agree with Greg Massey.  If your Dad is ok with it and it allows you to spend more time with your Dad go for it, and spare no expenses.   As bad as I hate blinds, if my Dad told me you know what Son, if you got us one of those hunting blinds we could hunt more together,  I'd drive to the nearest sporting goods store and get one tonight.  Would even swallow some pride and get a Funcky Chicken decoy for us to hunt over if he wanted one.
If I'm not back in five minutes, wait longer!
BodonkaDeke Prostaff
MoHo's Prostaff
Do unto others before others do unto you
Official Member Of The Unofficial Firedup Turkey
Calls Prostaff