OG Gear Store
Sum Toy
Dave Smith
Wood Haven
North Mountain Gear
North Mountain Gear
turkeys for tomorrow

News:

registration is free , easy and welcomed !!!

Main Menu

3-16-17 first ms bird this year

Started by Spitten and drummen, March 19, 2017, 01:52:15 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Spitten and drummen

Our season started im ms 3-15 . I loaded up truck tuesday and off to the camp I went starting my week long vacation. The opener was horrible with temps in low 30s and high of 48. Felt like deer season. I did not hear a peep. Thursday came and weather wasnt much better and the morning was a repeat from the day before. Went back to the camp and warmed up. The temps in the early afternoon topped out at 64 and felt great compared to the morning and day before. I had a idea where 2 different birds were roosting. In the previous weeks , the 2 gobblers had been on a particular ridge. My plan was to slip in and listen to where they would fly up to set up friday morning. I slipped in and got set up around 130. I called softly off and on with my platz maple slate. 655  I hear faint drumming. I then hear turkeys walking in the leaves behind me. I ease the safty off and wait. 2 gobblers and several hens walk by scattered out at 15 yards. My 20 ga with 1-5/8 oz tss absolutely crushes the tom. He had 10 -1/4 " beard , weighed 18 lbs and had 1-1/4 spurs. Started season off good. Sorry , no hero pic . I was at the camp alone with only my dog and he cant seem to use the focus on the camera.
" RANGERS LEAD THE WAY"
"QUEEN OF BATTLE FOLLOW ME " ~ INFANTRY
"DEATH FROM ABOVE " ~ AIRBORNE

MISSISSIPPI Double beard

The weather has been jacked up. Congrats!
They call him...Kenny..Kenny

Gooserbat

NWTF Booth 1623
One of my personal current interests is nest predators and how a majority of hunters, where legal bait to the extent of chumming coons.  However once they get the predators concentrated they don't control them.

owlhoot

Quote from: Spitten and drummen on March 19, 2017, 01:52:15 PM
Our season started im ms 3-15 . I loaded up truck tuesday and off to the camp I went starting my week long vacation. The opener was horrible with temps in low 30s and high of 48. Felt like deer season. I did not hear a peep. Thursday came and weather wasnt much better and the morning was a repeat from the day before. Went back to the camp and warmed up. The temps in the early afternoon topped out at 64 and felt great compared to the morning and day before. I had a idea where 2 different birds were roosting. In the previous weeks , the 2 gobblers had been on a particular ridge. My plan was to slip in and listen to where they would fly up to set up friday morning. I slipped in and got set up around 130. I called softly off and on with my platz maple slate. 655  I hear faint drumming. I then hear turkeys walking in the leaves behind me. I ease the safty off and wait. 2 gobblers and several hens walk by scattered out at 15 yards. My 20 ga with 1-5/8 oz tss absolutely crushes the tom. He had 10 -1/4 " beard , weighed 18 lbs and had 1-1/4 spurs. Started season off good. Sorry , no hero pic . I was at the camp alone with only my dog and he cant seem to use the focus on the camera.

Congrats on your bird!
Dog can still get u a beer out the cooler I guess lol.

Greg Massey

Nice bird, congrats ...nice story ...

Brian Fahs

TheBigSnood

Are you willing to step out of the boat as Peter did?  Think about it, he wouldn't have walked on water without stepping out of the boat!

Spitten and drummen

" RANGERS LEAD THE WAY"
"QUEEN OF BATTLE FOLLOW ME " ~ INFANTRY
"DEATH FROM ABOVE " ~ AIRBORNE

Rzrbac

Andy S.

Andy S.

If I had saved all the money I spent on hunting, I'd spend it on hunting.

taylorjones20

Alive only by the Grace Of God

wvmntnhick

tha bugman

rbreedi1

Thunder Ridge Totes