turkeys for tomorrow

News:

only use regular PayPal to provide purchase protection

Main Menu

First Bird Down

Started by OGNole, March 18, 2017, 03:53:30 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

OGNole

I started turkey hunting last year, but was not able to take a bird.

Fast forward to today, which is opening day here in N. Fl.  I didn't sleep much and was up at 0430 to  hit the woods early.  I was hunting a small piece of property near me which is dominated by a river bottom and an oak ridge. 

I got in about an hour before sunrise and heard one bird gobble early.  Worked toward him and called, but no response.   I spent the next 5 hours moving slowly through the property, calling every 100 yds or so.  I rotated through mouth calls, my 2 Sneed pots and a Lynch's foolproof.   I got no response until I had worked my way almost back to where I came in at.  I decided to move a little further down and hit the foolproof again.  I got one gobble in response and found a spot to set up.  I was in a tiny opening with little room to see a bird approach.  I barely got my gun up and took my hot hen pot out, when I saw the gobbler's blue head appear.  He had not made another sound and I had not had a chance to call again.  He looked nervous and began to turn and leave.  But I was able to put the bead on his head and at 12 yds the longbeard ammo did it's job. 

He had 1"spurs, an 8" beard and weighed 17lbs. 

I just want to say thanks to everyone on this site. I have learned a tremendous amount through the knowledge and generosity of the members here.

Thanks again and God bless.
"He is no fool who gives what he cannot keep to gain what he cannot lose." - Jim Elliot

Spur-n-spit

I'm jealous! April 1st can't get here fast enough. Congrats on a nice first bird!!!

TRG3

Congratulations on filling your tag. Now you know one way that will work. As the years go by and you accumulate more gobblers, you'll learn more ways that will work. Eventually, you'll have a bag of techniques that will work sometimes but not always and you'll have enough confidence to try a myriad of approaches until you discover which one works this time. That's the fun of turkey hunting.

Rzrbac

Congrats. The first one is the toughest but you're on your way.

Greg Massey

SteelerFan

wvmntnhick

Congrats man. That's a dandy first bird.

SwampSniper

Nice bird and sounds like a fun hunt.

Tail Feathers

He made you work for it before he decided to play, didn't he?  ;D

Congrats on a fine tom! :icon_thumright:
Love to hunt the King of Spring!

Dukejb

DawgsFan1

Congrats on a nice bird.
Trust in the Lord with all your heart,
and do not lean on your own understanding.
In all your ways acknowledge him,
and he will make straight your paths.

Proverbs 3:5-6

guesswho

Very nice!  Well done, congrats.
If I'm not back in five minutes, wait longer!
BodonkaDeke Prostaff
MoHo's Prostaff
Do unto others before others do unto you
Official Member Of The Unofficial Firedup Turkey
Calls Prostaff

Rio Fan

Congrats on a great first bird!

owlhoot

jmart241