OG Gear Store
Sum Toy
Dave Smith
Wood Haven
North Mountain Gear
North Mountain Gear
turkeys for tomorrow

News:

registration is free , easy and welcomed !!!

Main Menu

Longbeard XR w/ Full Choke?

Started by TomRC, March 16, 2017, 06:00:28 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

TomRC

Haven't turkey hunted much since I was a kid but just picked up an SX3 at a steal of price and the bug has hit me hard. I've read a lot about the Longbeard XR ammo and how with dedicated turkey chokes it throws a real tight pattern at close range, maybe even too tight if your nerves and heartbeat get the best of you. This  made me wonder if the Longbeard XR ammo might be ideal with the invector+ full choke that came with my SX3 instead of a dedicated turkey choke. Seems like the regular invector+ full choke would spread out the pattern a bit at closer ranges and still be an effective and affordable load up to say 40 yds which is about as far as I'm comfortable shooting. Am I off base with this thinking?? Thanks in advance!

allaboutshooting

Welcome back to the world of hunting and congratulations on your SX3. That's a fine gun and should give you many years of great service.

While it seems like a full choke and WLB shells would deliver a more open pattern that would those same shells and a tighter choke tube, many times it just doesn't work that way.

The shot in those shells is encapsulated in a hard resin. That resin is designed to fracture upon setback and become a fine-grained buffer that keeps the shot from deforming as it makes it way to and out of the muzzle.

There are occasions when that hard resin does not fracture upon setback but instead makes its way to and through the muzzle, largely intact or perhaps only slightly fractured. When that happens, you have a very tight "slug" of shot, at close range and even at longer ranges.

A turkey choke can serve as a secondary source to fracture the resin slug and cause it to break-up and become the buffer to accompany the shot out of the muzzle. Consequently, you may have a more open pattern with a tighter turkey choke than you might have with a more open full choke.

Make sense?

Thanks,
Clark
"If he's out of range, it just means he has another day and so do you."

TomRC

Thanks for the input. I hunt way to much for my own good, just been out of the turkey game for a while.
Based on the over bored barrel of the SX3 which choke would you recommend. I was looking at the Indian Creek Black Diamond or the Hevi-Shot choke???

One more question. How does the recoil of Longbeard XR compare to Hevi-Shot in a 3" 12 guage? Ran some Hevi-Shot #6 through the SX3 and it kicks like a mule...........and I deer hunt with a 7 MAG and shoot 10mm's for fun:)) RATHER EYE OPENING :))

Thanks again!!

MickT

I'd shoot it first and see what you get then go from there. Turkey chokes come in all flavors and price points but ultimately all that matters is that it delivers adequate energy to shut down a turkey's central nervous system at a reasonable range. The lowly Primos Tightwad does it as far as I care to shoot my 11-87 but your mileage may vary. The 3" 6s Long beards are my load of choice too.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

mtns2hunt

Quote from: TomRC on March 16, 2017, 08:35:24 PM

One more question. How does the recoil of Longbeard XR compare to Hevi-Shot in a 3" 12 guage? Ran some Hevi-Shot #6 through the SX3 and it kicks like a mule...........and I deer hunt with a 7 MAG and shoot 10mm's for fun:)) RATHER EYE OPENING :))

Thanks again!!

Was patterning 3" # 4 LB at forty yards off a bi pod. The same way I hunt and the long beard kicked very hard and gave me a headache. I was really surprised at the kick. Shot three turkeys last year off a bi pod and never noticed any kind of kick. Just shows what a bit of adrenaline will do. Won't give up the LB tho. Normally use a sled.
Everyone wants to be successful - some just need help.

MickT

I haven't really noticed the recoil being anything substantial but that's also why I don't own a 3.5" gun.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

allaboutshooting

Quote from: TomRC on March 16, 2017, 08:35:24 PM
Thanks for the input. I hunt way to much for my own good, just been out of the turkey game for a while.
Based on the over bored barrel of the SX3 which choke would you recommend. I was looking at the Indian Creek Black Diamond or the Hevi-Shot choke???

Thanks again!!

You're welcome. Both the IC and H-13 Chokes are good products and I've shot them both with WLB & H-13 shells. I actually prefer the Wright's with a .660 exit diameter https://allaboutshooting.com/products/wrights-inv-plus-12-gauge-turkey-choke It has a number of features that just seem to make it work exceptionally well with the WLB shells as well as the H-13 shells. It's non-ported with a crowned muzzle and long parallel section. It's rated for all lead and tungsten-base shot as well

In the Hevi-13 choke, I like the non-ported .665 model https://allaboutshooting.com/products/hevi-13-turkey-choke-invector-plus-12-gauge It also does a very good job with both the WLB and H-13 shells.

I've been shooting the SX3 since shortly after they came out and really like the gun. It's light, well balanced and easy to carry in the turkey woods and fields.

I would encourage you to "deep clean" the bore https://allaboutshooting.com/blogs/blog/98772615-deep-cleaning-a-shotgun-barrel since that can help, regardless of choke or shotshell.

Lastly, the 3" WLB shell has more recoil than does the 3" H-13 shell but they both can get your attention, especially at the patterning board.

Please let me know if I may be of help.

Thanks,
Clark

TomRC

Thanks again and had already read the "deep cleaning" article per your recommendation from another thread. I shoot a good bit but only shoot shotguns occasionally and when I do they are generally target loads where recoil even with my OLD A5's are not an issue. The Hevi-Shot did a number on my cheekbone, thought it was going to bruise up but it didn't fortunately. Think its probably operator error in terms of my "form" since I mainly shoot rifles. Thinking I may need to "lean" my cheek into the stock instead of "dropping" my cheek onto it for lack of a better description.

allaboutshooting

Quote from: TomRC on March 17, 2017, 06:43:42 AM
Thanks again and had already read the "deep cleaning" article per your recommendation from another thread. I shoot a good bit but only shoot shotguns occasionally and when I do they are generally target loads where recoil even with my OLD A5's are not an issue. The Hevi-Shot did a number on my cheekbone, thought it was going to bruise up but it didn't fortunately. Think its probably operator error in terms of my "form" since I mainly shoot rifles. Thinking I may need to "lean" my cheek into the stock instead of "dropping" my cheek onto it for lack of a better description.
You're welcome. I'm glad to hear you've already done the deep cleaning. It can be very beneficial. A tight cheek weld and firm shoulder placement will help with recoil. You may also want to consider a slip on pad, especially for bench work.
If I may be of any help, just let me know and I'll do my best to be of assistance.
Thanks,
Clark