OG Gear Store
Sum Toy
Dave Smith
Wood Haven
North Mountain Gear
North Mountain Gear
turkeys for tomorrow

News:

registration is free , easy and welcomed !!!

Main Menu

Yildiz turkey gun update

Started by tha bugman, March 15, 2017, 01:10:02 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

tha bugman

Well I put White Lithium grease on the turkey choke and screwed it in.  I went to the range and shot it 5-6 times.  After that I wanted to try the full choke to see differences in patterns.  I tried taking it out and it would not budge.  It took taking a small screw driver and some force to get it broken free.  When I screwed it out I looked at the threads on the choke and the bottom ring was breaking off.  The choke past the threads was also damaged (bent inward)  I looked in the barrel and there was additional thread material in the barrel that I swabbed out.  I checked the barrel threads with a light and they were clean.  I took the full choke, greased it and put it in the barrel and it screwed in fine.  I shot it several times and then removed the full choke with no problem. 

I then went turkey hunting this morning and put 1 shell in the chamber and 3 more in the magazine.  When I went to leave the woods I went to unload and I jacked one shell out and then two tried to feed in.  I had to take a screwdriver to remove those shells and the remaining shell came out as it should. 

The action is amazing and I had no problem ejecting one shell yesterday.

Any thoughts on what happened?  Cheap metal choke?  Short shucking the action?

SKFOOTER

Cheap gun.  Sounds like you got what you paid for. :character0029:

jordanz7935

Hopefully all you need to do is replace your turkey choke with a quality, american made choke. Hate to say it, but SKFOOTER is right. In my experience, the vast majority of turkish made pumps and semis have a lot of problems, mostly quality control issues. And unfortunately, from what ive heard and seen, customer service from these european gun companies leaves a lot to be desired. Hopefully you get it straightened out and the gun makes a good turkey gun for you.Good luck

tha bugman

Quote from: SKFOOTER on March 15, 2017, 01:44:14 PM
Cheap gun.  Sounds like you got what you paid for. :character0029:
Probably so, but it did shoot the Longbeard #6's with the full choke pretty dang good. 

allaboutshooting

Quote from: tha bugman on March 15, 2017, 01:10:02 PM
Well I put White Lithium grease on the turkey choke and screwed it in.  I went to the range and shot it 5-6 times.  After that I wanted to try the full choke to see differences in patterns.  I tried taking it out and it would not budge.  It took taking a small screw driver and some force to get it broken free.  When I screwed it out I looked at the threads on the choke and the bottom ring was breaking off.  The choke past the threads was also damaged (bent inward)  I looked in the barrel and there was additional thread material in the barrel that I swabbed out.  I checked the barrel threads with a light and they were clean.  I took the full choke, greased it and put it in the barrel and it screwed in fine.  I shot it several times and then removed the full choke with no problem. 

I then went turkey hunting this morning and put 1 shell in the chamber and 3 more in the magazine.  When I went to leave the woods I went to unload and I jacked one shell out and then two tried to feed in.  I had to take a screwdriver to remove those shells and the remaining shell came out as it should. 

I would not get too discouraged over this. I would recommend that you take the gun apart, pull the trigger group, the bolt, the whole thing and thoroughly clean it of grease and oil. I would do the same with the barrel, "deep clean" it https://allaboutshooting.com/blogs/blog/98772615-deep-cleaning-a-shotgun-barrel and pay special attention to the counterbore where the threads and internal shoulder are, make sure you clean those areas with solvent and a brush, a brass toothbrush will work, or even an old toothbrush.
When milling that counterbore, some grit could have easily been left on the shoulder keeping the choke from seating fully. Some grit in the threads would also cause the condition you described.
Those guns are shipped to the U.S. with grease/oil to keep from rusting when stored in some warehouse. It needs to be thoroughly removed before firing.
I believe if you get everything clean, you'll be fine.
Thanks,
Clark
"If he's out of range, it just means he has another day and so do you."

tha bugman

Quote from: allaboutshooting on March 15, 2017, 02:35:51 PM
Quote from: tha bugman on March 15, 2017, 01:10:02 PM

I would not get too discouraged over this. I would recommend that you take the gun apart, pull the trigger group, the bolt, the whole thing and thoroughly clean it of grease and oil. I would do the same with the barrel, "deep clean" it https://allaboutshooting.com/blogs/blog/98772615-deep-cleaning-a-shotgun-barrel and pay special attention to the counterbore where the threads and internal shoulder are, make sure you clean those areas with solvent and a brush, a brass toothbrush will work, or even an old toothbrush.
When milling that counterbore, some grit could have easily been left on the shoulder keeping the choke from seating fully. Some grit in the threads would also cause the condition you described.
Those guns are shipped to the U.S. with grease/oil to keep from rusting when stored in some warehouse. It needs to be thoroughly removed before firing.
I believe if you get everything clean, you'll be fine.
Thanks,
Clark
Thanks Clark I appreciate it and will do just as you instructed!