OG Gear Store
Sum Toy
Dave Smith
Wood Haven
North Mountain Gear
North Mountain Gear
turkeys for tomorrow

News:

registration is free , easy and welcomed !!!

Main Menu

Winchester SXP Longbeard choke size?

Started by kcrebel, March 15, 2017, 12:33:23 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

kcrebel

Pretty sure this is the same barrel and choke (made by Briley) that came in the SX3 Longbeard gun like I have in my gunsafe. 
A guy on the MS Turkey Hunting page was testing his (SXP Longbeard) today with Longbeard #4's and had a catastrophic failure.  I will post a pic if possible. 
I'm wondering if the #4 size pellets is what caused this issue? 
Anyone know what constriction the Briley choke tube is?  There isn't anything on the tube itself regarding size nor anywhere that I have found on Winchester's page or Briley's. 

allaboutshooting

Is your choke ported? If so, are the ports round or diamond shaped? It's hard to see what kind of choke was in that gun from the picture. Can you see any ports on the choke in that gun in picture you have?

Thanks,
Clark

"If he's out of range, it just means he has another day and so do you."

kcrebel

Hi Clark. Choke is not ported. It's the one that came with the gun made by Briley for Winchester.
Sorry for the low quality photo. Not my gun. Saw it on Facebook and figured I would ask the guys on here.

taylorjones20

Looks to me like the choke wasn't screwed in all the way and the wad got between the barrel and the choke.  I doubt it was a choke problem.  User error.
Alive only by the Grace Of God

RiverRoost

I've got the same gun in auto and have wondered the same thing about constriction on that tube and exactly who made it bc mine doesn't say anything other than Winchester longbeard or something. Not looking at it at moment

kcrebel

Agreed.  Only way I found out was I talked to Carlson's at NWTF in Nashville last year.  I had thought they made the choke since they developed the Longbeard XR load.  They told me that Briley made it for Winchester.  I bought a SX3 Longbeard last year.  I love the gun.  It's actually for my wife.  She loves it also.  I can tell you the choke tube that came in it sucks for patterning all loads I ran through it compared to the 5 other chokes I tested with.  It finished dead last with every load and had lots of gaps in the pattern. 
You are correct the only writing on the tube is Winchester Longbeard something. 
The gun owner in the pic said the choke was screwed in tight fwiw.  I thought it could be that or using 4 shot in a choke too tight.  Of course the keyboard warriors jumped on that saying they use 000 buckshot through their extended super full choke tubes as well as slugs.  Some folks you just can't help.   :TooFunny: :bike2:

tracker#1

Just called them and they said diameter is .665   I will be trying LB #5s.....scary stuff those pics....

kcrebel

Awesome!  I can confirm that info.  I spoke with both Winchester and Briley.  The choke tube is .077 or .665 for comparison to other tubes.  Briley recommends nothing larger than #5 being used in that tight of a choke tube and that recommendation is consistent with other choke tube manufacturers I have spoken with in the past. 
Agreed that is some scary stuff but even scarier on that Facebook post are some of the comments from others.  To think that guys who don't know any better would trust the recommendations of someone they don't know or even worse they do know is horrifying.