turkeys for tomorrow

News:

only use regular PayPal to provide purchase protection

Main Menu

"ONE DOWN IN NC"

Started by bbcoach, April 09, 2011, 04:51:03 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

bbcoach

WOKE UP THIS MORNING TO LIGHT RAIN, CLOUDY, COLD AND WINDY CONDITIONS.  OPENING DAY IN EASTERN NC, CAN'T STAY IN BED!!!!  GOT SET UP EARLY, IN A FIELD WE HAD BEEN SEEING BIRDS IN, WELL BEFORE FIRST LIGHT.  PUT OUT ONE FEEDING HEN ABOUT 25 YARDS FROM THE SET UP AND WAITED ON SOME LIGHT.  WITH IT RAINING SLIGHTLY AND VERY OVERCAST, FIRST LIGHT DIDN'T COME UNTIL ABOUT 6:45.  SAW ONE HEN IN THE FIELD AT AROUND 6:30 ABOUT 200 YARDS AWAY BUT NO GOBBLER WITH HER.  STARTED HEARING GOBBLING AROUND 7 SEVERAL HUNDREDS YARDS AWAY.  ABOUT 7:15 THE GOBBLING STARTED GETTING CLOSER SO I LET OUT A FEW YELPS (ON THE SASSY GAL II) AND GOT AN IMMEDIATE RESPONSE BACK.  WAITED UNTIL 7:30 AND HE GOBBLED AGAIN EVEN CLOSER SO I GAVE HIM ONE MORE SERIES OF YELPS WITH A FEW HARD CUTTS AND WAITED.  AT 7:45, I THOUGHT I HEARD SOME DRUMMING IN THE WOODS BESIDE ME AT ABOUT 50 YARDS BUT SAID NAW THE WIND IS PLAYING TRICKS ON ME.  I LOOK TO MY RIGHT AND OUT HE STEPS AT 30 YARDS, IN FULL STRUT AND HEADING STRAIGHT FOR ME.  WE ARE EYE TO EYE.  HE TURNS AT 10 YARDS AND MAKES A BEE LINE TOWARD THE DECOY THAT IS MOVING WITH EVERY WIND GUST.  AT 25 YARDS, HE APPROACHES THE DECOY, STILL DRUMMING AND DISPLAYING AND WITH A FEW SHARP CUTTS THE 17 LB, 1 1/16" SPURRED, 9 3/4" BEARDED THREE TOED GOBBLER ATE A DOSE OF 3 1/2" #7 HEVIS.

I WANT TO THANK SCOTT HOOKS FOR THE QUICK SHIPMENT OF THE CALLS I ORDERED ON WEDNESDAY, AS THE SASSY GAL II DID HER JOB.

BEST OF LUCK TO ALL, AS YOUR SEASONS START AND TO THOSE WHO HAVE BEEN HUNTING AWHILE.

4/10/11-----ADDED SOME PICS BELOW FROM PHOTOBUCKET, SINCE I'VE BEEN PROPERLY SCHOOLED.

JVA54

cannonball

Starting the season off right! :icon_thumright:

tnturkeyman28

Big Boys Custom Calls
" I can do all things through him who strengthens me."
Owner of Big Boys Custom Call making Custom Turkey Calls to Order. Mossy Oak Pro Staff The Good lord has Blessed me far more than I deserve. Philippians 4:13

BOFF

AW COME ON NOW!!!

Unwritten rule #3:  "Thou shalt not post about gobbler without pics"  ;D

Congrats!!!  

God Bless,
David B.

Trip

Ol'Mossy

hookedspur

CRUSADERS
2016-2017-2018-2019-2020- 2021
Six time Old Gobbler Contest Champions

Hognutz

May I assume you're not here to inquire about the alcohol or the tobacco?
If attacked by a mob of clowns, go for the juggler.

Odessa

Great story, congratulations!
"I admire a good turkey hunter chiefly because such a man displays qualities that we usually associate with pioneer America-patience, enthusiasm, woodcraft, game sense, and a quiet hardihood undaunted by rain, by cold, by long tough miles, by disappointment."
Archibald Rutledge

Gold Spur

Woo Pig Sooie!!!

turkey slayer

Quote from: BOFF on April 09, 2011, 06:42:41 PM
AW COME ON NOW!!!

Congrats!!!  

God Bless,
David B.
:agreed:

Wrangler95

Give Thanks Unto The Lord,For He Is Good,His Love Endures Forever!

timbrhuntr

BOFF

Quote from: BOFF on April 09, 2011, 06:42:41 PM
AW COME ON NOW!!!

Congrats!!!  

God Bless,
David B.

I retract the above statement due to GREAT photos, and a grin to match!!

Congrats again!!

May there be many more!!

God Bless,
David B.