turkeys for tomorrow

News:

only use regular PayPal to provide purchase protection

Main Menu

Gobblers dieing all around

Started by TRKYHTR, April 09, 2011, 04:46:22 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

TRKYHTR

It seems that I have a horseshoe half way up my butt because turkeys are dieing all around me. I took my cousins son turkey hunting this morning. Jeff has killed 2 turkeys but never really turkey hunted. All of his kills have been spot and stalk. Today started 1/2 hour late because Jeff was soo excited he was up all night and and didn't hear his alarm go off just after falling asleep. We had a little over an hour drive so I knew we weren't going to make it before flydown. I was OK because this was Jeffs hunt. We got to the spot and headed out to a small ridge where I like to listen. My first call was greeted by a booming gobble about 200 yards away. I put my decoy out and we got set up. The turkey gobbled several times but seemed to be hung up. We moved about 30 yards so we could see a little better and I pulled out my slate call. This gobbler ate it up. He doubled and triple gobbled several times. Another turkey joined in the fun and we were in amongst um. I could finally hear him move to our right. I moved the camera about the time I saw his tailfan come up. He slicked down and took a few steps uphill towards our set up. Then went into strut again. I knew he could see the decoy so I thought we were good. He came another 15 yards and strutted again. Then he slicked down and set his wings and I told Jeff to shoot if he could see the turkey. The shot rang out and the gobbler hit the dirt. Jeff has had a rough life. He has never really had a father figure and his grandpa was my uncle Harold who passed away at the age of 50 and was everything to me when I was growing up. I was so proud of him and I don't think I have ever taken somebody that was as happy to kill a turkey as Jeff. He said that today was the best day of his life. It was very rewarding for me today and even brought a tear to my eye. Here is a few pics of Jeff and his turkey.
BTW my son Joey took his friend Jake and they went to a local lake where you can turkey hunt. Joey called in 5 longbeards, a Jake and a few hens. Jake killed his first longbeard. My boy is 22 years old and has killed 35 turkeys, called in several turkeys for other people and taught another kid how to turkey hunt that has called in his first turkey this year. I am proud of that boy.

TRKYHTR

Here is the video of the hunt.
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=5fcDcohhefo

Jakes Gobbler

RIP Marvin Robbins

[img]http://i261.photobuck

cannonball

Congrats to you both, great hunt. :icon_thumright:

deadbuck

The smiles tell the whole story!! Congrats

BOFF

Nice going!!

Jeff's smile definitely speaks volumes about the hunt, and is quite infectious!!

Congrats to all.

God Bless,
David B.

Trip

TauntoHawk

I think THEY most rewarding thing in the sport of hunting is getting a new person onto this great sport

great hunts!
<blockquote class="imgur-embed-pub" lang="en" data-id="l4hWuQU"><a href="//imgur.com/l4hWuQU"></a></blockquote><script async src="//s.imgur.com/min/embed.js" charset="utf-8"></script>

Ol'Mossy

Congrats to you both, looks like nice country  :icon_thumright:

hookedspur

CRUSADERS
2016-2017-2018-2019-2020- 2021
Six time Old Gobbler Contest Champions

WyoHunter

Congrats to both of you! Great read and good pics too!
If I had a dollar for every gobbler I thought I fooled I'd be well off!

timbrhuntr

Good for you and the tradition continues !

kj

Jay

Great video Joe. Congrats to you and Jeff on a great hunt. Loved hearing that Turkey firing up to the slate.

njdevilsb

Congrats all around.  A couple of nice birds.

Hognutz

Well done, boys. You are definitely on a roll.  :you_rock:
May I assume you're not here to inquire about the alcohol or the tobacco?
If attacked by a mob of clowns, go for the juggler.

moonman

Keep your nose in the wind,your eyes on the skyline.