OG Gear Store
Sum Toy
Dave Smith
Wood Haven
North Mountain Gear
North Mountain Gear
turkeys for tomorrow

News:

registration is free , easy and welcomed !!!

Main Menu

Buying a new call, Custom or Production

Started by culpeper, March 13, 2017, 11:00:52 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

culpeper

When you have decided that it's time for a new call or calls, for whatever your reasons might be, and you are considering retail production calls and custom calls, what is your single most important criteria/parameter for evaluation and your subsequent purchase?

joker

#1) What it sounds like.

Custom all the way. A production call can sound ok but most of the time not even close to the sound of a custom call.

Spitten and drummen

If it sounds good played softly. the yelp  needs to roll over effortlessly no matter how soft or loud you play it.
" RANGERS LEAD THE WAY"
"QUEEN OF BATTLE FOLLOW ME " ~ INFANTRY
"DEATH FROM ABOVE " ~ AIRBORNE

packmule

Quote from: Spitten and drummen on March 13, 2017, 11:41:16 AM
If it sounds good played softly. the yelp  needs to roll over effortlessly no matter how soft or loud you play it.
X2

KentuckyHeadhunter

Sound first. Then beat the crap out of it and dump water on it.  Now how does it sound?   :TooFunny:
Loyal Member of the Tenth Legion

Bolandstrutters

I've got a few customs, but nothing has killed as many birds as my primos frictionite slate.  I can get so soft on that thing. 

Bowguy

strutnrut

I beleive everyone has a turkey sound in their head an will search high an low looking for it. I beleive that a callmaker will do there were best to help you were a production call is looking for sales. IMO

MK M GOBL

I have my custom Cody World Class Slate and was totally bought because of "Sound", the other pot call I carry is a $10 production call and again was bought because of it's sound...

There are custom calls not worth the money, same with production. It's all about the call, "I don't pick Pretty, I pick Performance" and I always play/hear a call before I buy. (Meat Calls)

Might be a different thing if you are  buying for Collector Status.

MK M GOBL

greencop01

We all buy according to our ear, but it is all in the ear of the gobbler, what does he like?  I've had calls that I thought sounded good but gobblers luke warm on it. I've had calls I did'nt like the sound but the gobblers would answer with gusto and come in when I used it. Guess what calls I would keep and go in my vest?
We wait all year,why not enjoy the longbeard coming in hunting for a hen, let 'em' in close !!!

strutnrut

I'm not saying that all calls weather it be custom ? or production build sound great far from it but most Store don't have calls setting out for you to try so you are buying a pig in the poke. A callmakers shouldn't get mad if you return the call because it doesn't suit you. Not everyone hears the same. You ever hear a recording of your own voice? Sounds different doesn't it. So what is the true sound a turkey hears and do all turkeys hear the same? Do they all sound the same?  Does a Yankee sound the same as a Southerner but we all respond when spoken to. Again everyone has a sound they are looking for and will keep hunting for that sound until they find it. I have killed a many turkey just scratching the leaves and clucking with my mouth. If a turkey wants to come they will come if not then you may as well go home.

greencop01

Quote from: strutnrut on March 14, 2017, 10:09:49 AM
I'm not saying that all calls weather it be custom ? or production build sound great far from it but most Store don't have calls setting out for you to try so you are buying a pig in the poke. A callmakers shouldn't get mad if you return the call because it doesn't suit you. Not everyone hears the same. You ever hear a recording of your own voice? Sounds different doesn't it. So what is the true sound a turkey hears and do all turkeys hear the same? Do they all sound the same?  Does a Yankee sound the same as a Southerner but we all respond when spoken to. Again everyone has a sound they are looking for and will keep hunting for that sound until they find it. I have killed a many turkey just scratching the leaves and clucking with my mouth. If a turkey wants to come they will come if not then you may as well go home.
Amen ! 
We wait all year,why not enjoy the longbeard coming in hunting for a hen, let 'em' in close !!!

M Sharpe

Try out production calls customer service....
I'm not a Christian because I'm strong and have it all together. I'm a Christian because I'm weak and admit I need a Saviour!

Meadow Valley Man

There are no guarantees that the production call you buy will sound good once the package is open.  The great thing about custom calls is that the reputable call makers will make sure you are happy with the sound.