turkeys for tomorrow

News:

only use regular PayPal to provide purchase protection

Main Menu

1187 point of aim

Started by Flyrodder, March 10, 2017, 10:24:14 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Flyrodder

My brother has a 1187 that at 20 yards, the center of the pattern is 3" to the right. Is there some way to correct this without bending the barrel? Does anyone know of a gunsmith that can install the choke that will shoot point of aim to point of impact. He only wants to use the vent-rib and front bead, no scope or any adjustable sights.
thanks, Flyrodder

PineyRooster

I had an 11-87 that always shot about a foot low.. however with the Remington superfull turkey choke and federal premium #4s it gave me an excellent hunting pattern that was centered up. Maybe experiment with some different chokes to see if it changes the poa/poi. In multiple different setups with different shotguns that has made the difference for me. Of course its always easier to use sights but I prefer just the beads if my gun allows it.

Greg Massey

I think he would be wish to use some sights to correct the problem. In the excitement and heart pumping with that gobbler coming it's hard to remember hold the gun over here to kill that bird... what you going to do if you have 3 heads close together ?   

BottomLand54

My 11-87 shoots poa/poi most remingtons do. Some people pull off. How does the gun shoot of you shoot it. How does it shoot with a factory Remington choke? Allot of variables there.

Have 2 or 3 experienced shooters shoot gun off a rest or off a bench.

If gun still shoots exact same for everyone remove choke, install a factory rim choke shoot again. Go to 40-50 ft shoot gun with a dove load see where it shoots. Believe it or not some aftermarket turkey chokes will shoot off.

Sent from my XT1254 using Tapatalk

Izzyjoe

Remington actually had a problem with the choke being bore off center, that would cause it to shoot off impact. And there's not much you can about that, except have the barrel shortened and recapped. I have an 870 express that has this issue, and a set Williams sights solved this problem.

Flyrodder

Thanks everyone for your replies. I should have given you more information. The choke installed when shooting is a Remington Super Full Turkey choke, the gun shot to the right with the Remington modified choke that came with the gun also. We were testing off of a rest using 1 1/8 oz #8 shot at 20 yards. I've tried to talk him into a set of sights or some other adjustable optic but no good. For a shotgun, the gun has a great trigger.
Thanks, Flyrodder

BottomLand54

Ok put a turkey load in it and see what she does. 3 inches really ain't a big deal if your pattern is dense but wide enough. Honestly I like POA/poi however man 3 inches is minute if the pattern is good enough to still kill and 20 I want to brave to still have pellets in a 6-8 inch circle and at 40 10-12 inch circle

Sent from my XT1254 using Tapatalk

Dtrkyman

shotguns are built to fit the average sized guy, poi issues are often related to gun fit. As stated above particularly with tight chokes poi can change.

SumToy

get some bird shot and few of the stock chokes.   get about 40 to 50 ft from target try few shots with the chokes see what it does.  if they all shoot same place it is the gun.  If not it is the choke. 
Tell us just how dead do you want them to be and we will see if we can get that for you.
Building American made products with American made CNC's and Steel.  Keep all the service Men and Women that gave a LIFE for our FREEDOM a live when you buy American.  God Bless the USA