turkeys for tomorrow

News:

only use regular PayPal to provide purchase protection

Main Menu

Recommend me your best slate

Started by Txag12, March 10, 2017, 09:32:48 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Txag12

I've never been a slate guy...only own one slate, a lonzo Birdseye, and it's just very subtle and soft sounding to me. That said I want to give slate another try and see if there is one out there I may like more. I've always been a glass/crystal guy and think I may just not have a ear for slate. Tell me what yalld go with!

Txag12

Any opinions on the hanks Osage slate?

hunter22

Quote from: MDTOM84 on March 10, 2017, 09:46:11 AM
Lonzo's yellowheart slate over aluminum

Mine too. And I probably have close to 75 slate calls.

Jroddc

Halloran laminate, Schaffer Red hen, Lonzo acrylic slate over aluminum.

Spitten and drummen

Quote from: hunter22 on March 10, 2017, 09:47:17 AM
Quote from: MDTOM84 on March 10, 2017, 09:46:11 AM
Lonzo's yellowheart slate over aluminum

Mine too. And I probably have close to 75 slate calls.

bingo. dont think you can get much better.
" RANGERS LEAD THE WAY"
"QUEEN OF BATTLE FOLLOW ME " ~ INFANTRY
"DEATH FROM ABOVE " ~ AIRBORNE

scoot12

For a little more mellow sounding slate,  Eddie Wynnes persimmon slate.  For crisper sounding call,  Paul Platz cherry slate is hard to beat.

dejake

I don't know. "Subtle and soft" sounds pretty good to me!

Tennessee Lead

My best Slate is the Halloran Wenge and Walnut slate. It doesn't run like a typical slate. More of a hybrid of slate and Crystal.
Derrick Stuckey makes a slate that's incredible. It runs like the Halloran W/W also. I would have bought it at the National Convention if I had enough funds left.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Sixes

Recently got a Brad Roberts Walnut that will I will hunt this year.

In the past, a spring allure slate has served me well and a Lonnie Mabry ( they are a little harder to come by if you don't live local to him). The Halloran Wenge/Walnut is great also

sbbow

Shaffers red hen slate

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

Matt k

Andy S.

Andy S.

If I had saved all the money I spent on hunting, I'd spend it on hunting.

bullet355

I dont have any of the ones mentioned above, but I have a
Lonnie sneed Hot Hen and Cane Creek Pro Custom slate, one or the other is allways in my vest.

tomfooleryy

Lonzo paduak slate over aluminum

joker

Txage12, I too did not like slate calls at one time due to them sounding "subtle and soft". And yes that lonzo maple slate is  "subtle and soft". I like a slate with some pop and volume like a glass call. lights out, cross road, derby city, glen marrer, Lonnie sneed, paul platz, .... are a few I think you would like the sound of. P.S. any of these calls can also sound "subtle and soft" by just wrapping your hand around them, holding them tighter and moving a little toward the rim or center with the striker.

Steve