turkeys for tomorrow

News:

only use regular PayPal to provide purchase protection

Main Menu

GA Limit!

Started by goblr77, April 09, 2011, 12:04:14 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

goblr77

I was fortunate enough to take my third gobbler of the Georgia season this morning. Before day, I set up on a field edge on the west side of a swamp where I expected the birds to be roosted. Come daybreak I didn't have a bird gobbling anywhere close to me. One was to the south and one was to the north, both roosted well off the property I was hunting. I sat a little while and had two hens come to my spread and head off to the south where one of the birds was gobbling. The other bird, the one to the north, moved on to the place I was hunting and got within hearing distance of my calls. Problem is, he was in a small field on the other side of the swamp from where I was set up. He continued to gobble but sounded like he hit a stopping point in the middle of the field, still probably 300 yards away. I got up and tried to head to the field but it was too thick to make it without spooking the bird. The water was less than a foot deep but it was terribly thick. I decided to try and pull the bird so I waded a little ways out in the water and hit the Hustlin Hen box. He hammered back. I slipped back out of the thicket and hit him again. He gobbled and was right on the other side of the swamp. I scurried to find somewhere to sit. After I got settled I hit another series of yelps on the box. He didn't answer. I knew this bird was hot and honestly expected him to fly this swamp and come to me. I gave it another minute or two and hit a few clucks and purrs on a Lonzo's glass call. Not two minutes went by and I heard footsteps coming through the leaves, CLOSE. This bird waded through the swamp and I couldn't see him coming because  a huge pine tree was between him and me. At twelve steps he came from behind the tree. He had fear in his eyes when he looked at the business end of the Xtrema but it was too late. :newmascot: He was only a two year old but had double beards with the longest being around 11".

[attachment deleted by admin]

Gold Spur

Congrats! Very nice bird.... :icon_thumright:
Woo Pig Sooie!!!

gatrapper

Dang.  Already tagged out with the crappy season that is going on down here.  That is awesome! :you_rock:

I had some birds gobble @ 8am this morning, but they are still henned up ALL day.  Hopefully that changes in a week or so.
"Champions don't make excuses, they make plays." - Richard Seymour.

bayou gobbler

Awesome bird!! congrats!!

gatrapper

Btw, are you in North, Middle, or South Ga? 

In in middle Ga and Im hoping that these birds start to act right soon and stop being henned up all day.  If you in S.Ga it looks to be a good sign.  Florida folks seemed to wear them out recently and were usually a week to 10 days behind them. 
"Champions don't make excuses, they make plays." - Richard Seymour.

briancady

goblr77

Quote from: gatrapper on April 09, 2011, 12:40:34 PM
Btw, are you in North, Middle, or South Ga? 

In in middle Ga and Im hoping that these birds start to act right soon and stop being henned up all day.  If you in S.Ga it looks to be a good sign.  Florida folks seemed to wear them out recently and were usually a week to 10 days behind them. 

SW Ga. Our birds were ready when the season started.

tnturkeyman28

Big Boys Custom Calls
" I can do all things through him who strengthens me."
Owner of Big Boys Custom Call making Custom Turkey Calls to Order. Mossy Oak Pro Staff The Good lord has Blessed me far more than I deserve. Philippians 4:13

timbrhuntr

Congrats on tagging out !

trkycaller

savduck

SE georgia sucks right now. Nothing is gobbling.
Georgia Boy

JVA54

:icon_thumright:  Congrats!!

Wrangler95

:anim_65:

Very nice,congrats!!!
Give Thanks Unto The Lord,For He Is Good,His Love Endures Forever!

M,Yingling

Not taking orders for calls at this time ,,,but my have some on hand  ,,,I Dont sell strikers
I do like copper pot calls,,,,Get them While u can
My YouTube
https://www.youtube.com/user/CallerTurkey

Saylfish

IAFF 1377