OG Gear Store
Sum Toy
Dave Smith
Wood Haven
North Mountain Gear
North Mountain Gear
turkeys for tomorrow

News:

registration is free , easy and welcomed !!!

Main Menu

Is choke tube lube really needed?

Started by WNCTracker, March 09, 2017, 09:40:55 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

yella yelper

I put a dab of breech plug grease on the threads of all my chokes. No rust, no sticking

Tennessee Lead

I've never used any but I plan to after I give my barrel a good deep cleaning

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

ilbucksndux

I put anti seize on mine.....now. I have a 870 with a stuck choke and have had a couple close calls,not I put it on and have no worries.
Gary Bartlow

GED6531

:TrainWreck1:

Yes use it. I have one stuck permanently but I'm not too concerned because the gun it is on is only used for turkey hunting.

bbcoach

I use it on all my screw in chokes for 2 reasons.  1. It makes removing chokes much easier  2. If you get rain or moisture in the barrel, you will have rust if you don't use it.  If you have tried to get a stuck choke out of a barrel, you will wish you had.  An ounce of prevention (a little grease) is worth a pound of cure (possible barrel replacement).

Gobble!

Quote from: deerbasshunter3 on March 09, 2017, 10:06:23 PM
I've never even heard of it.

x2. I clean my gun and choke after every shot so I don't think it would be very beneficial to me.

LaLongbeard

Ive always removed the choke wiped the threads down with rem oil and the female threads inside barell as part of normal cleaning  never had any problems.
If you make everything easy how do you know when your good at anything?

surehuntsalot

it's not the harvest,it's the chase

goblr77

Quote from: Phillipshunt on March 10, 2017, 10:13:44 AM
Ive always removed the choke wiped the threads down with rem oil and the female threads inside barell as part of normal cleaning  never had any problems.

Same here.

stinkpickle

I put anti seize on all of mine, because I rarely remove them.

Greg Massey

WNCTracker

Any special kind or just your regular anti seize from hardware? 

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Marc

I do not think you need a special type of lubricating choke tube product.

But the threads of the chokes should have some sort of lubrication, and the chokes need to be well cleaned to remove plastic residue of the wad materials...

If it rains, or there is any moisture during a hunt, I unscrew my choke just a touch as soon as I get back to the truck (or in the field if I have a limit of whatever I am hunting).  After any exposure to moisture, the choke tube comes out for thorough drying and lubrication as soon as I get home.

During any periods of long storage, I unscrew the choke a bit, and make sure there is some sort of lubrication or rust preventative product on the threads of the chokes.

Oh yeah...  And do NOT experiment shooting larger sized shot in tight turkey chokes.  Those tight chokes are made for smaller shot sizes, and larger sized shot (especially non-lead shot) can cause swelling and cause the choke to get stuck, if not ruin the barrel.
Did I do that?

Fly fishermen are born honest, but they get over it.

suburbhunter

Quote from: yella yelper on March 10, 2017, 12:03:42 AM
I put a dab of breech plug grease on the threads of all my chokes. No rust, no sticking
^^^^^^^^^ This ^^^^^^^^^^^

wvmntnhick

Remoil is fine until it evaporates. Then it's worthless. I'd use either the lube or a very small amount of anti-seize as mentioned above.