OG Gear Store
Sum Toy
Dave Smith
Wood Haven
North Mountain Gear
North Mountain Gear
turkeys for tomorrow

News:

registration is free , easy and welcomed !!!

Main Menu

Is choke tube lube really needed?

Started by WNCTracker, March 09, 2017, 09:40:55 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

WNCTracker

Unless your skeet shooting a lot of rounds is choke tube lube really needed?  I've always just used remoil but that doesn't mean that's the best method.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

dirt road ninja

pabossie255

I have never used it and I shoot at a lot of geese in a day. I do clean my gun the minute I walk in the door it never sits so I'm sure that helps.

deerbasshunter3

Big perm2

I would say unless you clean after every outing probably not, but if your like me and hunt every chance you get rain and all yes to keep the tube from rusting that's just my opinion tho.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

Frylock

I always lube my chokes, but I hunt ducks in the saltwater a lot where a rusted in choke tube is real possibility so it's just become part of my gun matinence routine.  However, I don't use anything specially marketed as choke lube, I use marine trailer bearing grease.

Greg Massey

Always lube the chokes, why you want take a chance on having a stuck choke....you spend money on buying a gun and you don't want to lube the choke...lol.....

spaightlabs

Ya don't need it unless ya do and then it's too late. 

I lube mine just to be safe.

owlhoot

MKMGOBL

"Luck Happens When Preparation Meets Opportunity"

WNCTracker

Quote from: Greg Massey on March 09, 2017, 10:48:45 PM
Always lube the chokes, why you want take a chance on having a stuck choke....you spend money on buying a gun and you don't want to lube the choke...lol.....
Remoil is a lubricant. Just asking whether choke lube is necessary for all guns/chokes or moreso for just skeet (or saltwater) applications. Im familiar with an ounce of prevention is worth a pound of cure.

WNCTracker

Quote from: spaightlabs on March 09, 2017, 10:50:10 PM
And that's the darn truth

old3toe

I always use anti seize on all of my chokes regardless how long it'll be before I change tubes out. I've seen several guys with very nice guns and a choke locked up in it! It sucks. I'm not even sure if one guy ever got one out of his 11-87. It's standard procedure for me actually as soon as I finish polishing or cleaning a barrel I wipe the old stuff out and apply new.

SteelerFan

Quote from: WNCTracker on March 09, 2017, 11:34:15 PM
Quote from: spaightlabs on March 09, 2017, 10:50:10 PM
And that's the darn truth

:icon_thumright: :icon_thumright:

pabossie255

My chokes always come out by hand pressuer even after a day of blasting geese or ducks.