turkeys for tomorrow

News:

only use regular PayPal to provide purchase protection

Main Menu

How to separate reeds...

Started by deerbasshunter3, March 08, 2017, 09:56:32 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

deerbasshunter3

I have a diaphragm call that I have not used much, but I want to give it a shot now that I am getting better. However, I am not able to get anything in between the two reeds to separate them. Amy tips or tricks that somebody can give me to separate them? Any help would be appreciated, thanks!

MK M GOBL

I never worry about it, a few minutes of warm up "calling" in the truck on the drive to hunt and I am good to go, now cleaning my call is another story...

MK M GOBL

deerbasshunter3

I have tried using the call in the house and the reeds will not separate. Should I just soak it in water all day before trying to separate the reeds with a plastis toothpick?

Rzrbac

Just put the front of the reeds in your lips and blow on it. Most of the time you hear them come unstuck.

SteelerFan

You can try soaking, maybe even in some mouthwash.  But like MK M GOBL said, you should be able to separate them with some warm up time.

Now, when specifically trying to separate the reeds, I'll go through all sorts of crazy sounds, trying to create as much vibration as possible. But I've been able to "rejuvenate" last years calls by going through this routine.

I've been there, done that, with the reed separators, toothpicks, etc. I don't find it necessary, but that's me.

joker

Just try to use water and work at getting the reeds started apart at one side and slowly try to pull them apart. If it has been awhile you may not be able to get them apart without destroying the call.

For my mouth calls I keep the reed savers in them anytime they are not in my mouth. I carry an eye dropper bottle full of water with me while hunting. When I take the call out to use it I squirt a little water between the reeds and work the reed savers back and forth a few times. When I take the call out of my mouth and put it back in the case the reed savers go back in. By doing this the reeds will stay separated and will never stick for you. This is why I include reed savers with every call I sell.

Steve

deerbasshunter3

The call has been sitting in its case for at least a year unused. It has not been in the sun or anything, but has sat for a while. It may be beyond repair, so to speak. I have other calls that I prefer to use anyways, so not a big loss, just wanted to try it now that I actually know what I am doing.

joker

FYI : The "custom" reed separators that I make for my calls are the best that I have used. To make them I just cut the big bend off of a small plastic coated metal paper clip. The bent part goes between the reeds with the two ends sticking out. Cheep, easy, look  and work great.

Steve

WNCTracker

Quote from: deerbasshunter3 on March 09, 2017, 08:31:30 AM
The call has been sitting in its case for at least a year unused. It has not been in the sun or anything, but has sat for a while. It may be beyond repair, so to speak. I have other calls that I prefer to use anyways, so not a big loss, just wanted to try it now that I actually know what I am doing.
Do you keep them in the fridge?  That's helpful prevention. As for your current issue Id swish warm water in your mouth and flick the cuts with the tip of your tongue.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Swampchickin234

I use a plastic toothpick if there stuck to bad with warm weather.  Usually though, when they get that bad, I pitch em and get new ones.   By doing that every year, I usually don't have to worry about it.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

kjnengr

Quote from: SteelerFan on March 08, 2017, 11:21:33 PM
You can try soaking, maybe even in some mouthwash.  But like MK M GOBL said, you should be able to separate them with some warm up time.

Now, when specifically trying to separate the reeds, I'll go through all sorts of crazy sounds, trying to create as much vibration as possible. But I've been able to "rejuvenate" last years calls by going through this routine.

I've been there, done that, with the reed separators, toothpicks, etc. I don't find it necessary, but that's me.

:agreed:  What SteelerFan said......

Life of Riley

I heard Mitchell Johnston on "the Turkey Hunter Podcast" say that he just leaves them  in an open case on the counter to dry out over night. He owns "Dead End Game Calls" and said that when he gets in latex it is dry and has some powder on it, in order to preserve it. Leaving a wet mouth call in a damp, cold environment might not be a good idea....

Number17

I have wood toothpicks in every call case and always insert them under the top reed when the call goes back in the case. Always two picks and sometimes 3 depending on the cut of the call.
I've often wondered if those 3-4 reed calls don't actually become a thick single reed for the guys that don't separate reeds?
I can tell immediately when hunting with somebody else if they separate their reeds or not. Their calls are just lifeless and monotone when stuck together.

There is an immediate and distinct sound quality difference between separated reeds and ones that are glued together with old saliva.

If they ever do get stuck together for some reason I'll pick under the reed with a wet toothpick until the entire reed is free. There is plenty of time to just sit and be quiet in the turkey woods.........this is a good time to work on conditioning calls of any kind.
#Gun
#Shells
#couple calls

Life of Riley

Quote from: Number17 on March 16, 2017, 05:41:00 PM
I have wood toothpicks in every call case and always insert them under the top reed when the call goes back in the case. Always two picks and sometimes 3 depending on the cut of the call.

I wonder if shoving three toothpicks in between layers of latex causes the material to stretch out and "get out of whack." I think a better idea than picking the calls is to rinse off in clean water and then store.