OG Gear Store
Sum Toy
Dave Smith
Wood Haven
North Mountain Gear
North Mountain Gear
turkeys for tomorrow

News:

registration is free , easy and welcomed !!!

Main Menu

Rem 870 chokes...

Started by jwork, March 08, 2017, 09:26:29 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

jwork

Whats everyones favorite choke/shell setup for their 870's?

Waynesworld23

Sumtoy .655 with a hevi13 #6 out of a 21in barrel
To give anything less then your best is to sacrifice the gift

Will

Rhino .661 choke and 3" mag blend hevi shot

allaboutshooting

Quote from: jwork on March 08, 2017, 09:26:29 PM
Whats everyones favorite choke/shell setup for their 870's?
There are several good to excellent chokes for that gun but I have been most impressed with the Hevi-13 Turkey Choke and the 3" WLB shells with #5 shot. Some really devastating patterns.
Thanks,
Clark
"If he's out of range, it just means he has another day and so do you."

Kylongspur88

I currently use factory super full with heavy #6's.

Gooserbat

For a factory load I like Fed HW #7 and a ballistic specialties .655

For the best results tss#9 and a Jebs .665
NWTF Booth 1623
One of my personal current interests is nest predators and how a majority of hunters, where legal bait to the extent of chumming coons.  However once they get the predators concentrated they don't control them.

Greg Massey

H S Strut 655 undertaker no-ported....

Nate812

Gobble!

Indian Creek .675 and 2.5oz of TSS #9s.
It was a Indian Creek .665 when I was shooting the HeviShot shells.

wdixon

Indian Creek and TSS #9's

WildTigerTrout

Remington .655 "Ventilator" - Federal Premium 3/2/7.5  Both discontinued and considered obsolete but this combo is just plain NASTY!
Deer see you and think you are a stump. The Old Gobbler sees a stump and thinks it is YOU!

turkeyfoot

No brainer for me Rhino .660 and Nitro 4-5-7 or Nitro straight 6 hevi shot I haven't had to pattern a shell or choke in years this will kill em further than I can accurately shoot and has dropped more than can remember. now if iI hand loaded it would for sure be TSS

LaLongbeard

Jebs .655 and Nitro 4x5x7 3.5 Rhino .660 is also a good choice with the same load. The year your 870 was made makes a difference the newer 870s 2009 and newer usually require a more open choke and can be a lot more finicky about shot sizes. I have an older 870 but if I was starting with a new one I'd have the barrel honed and polished by a gunsmith then go from there the new barells are rough on the inside especially the express models
If you make everything easy how do you know when your good at anything?

turkeyfoot

I read that about the newer 870's wonder how many people don't realize that. Heck mine shows its age

RutnNStrutn

I've had good success with the Remington Ventilator in .655 shooting Winchester Hi-Velocity #4's in 3-1/2", and also the Primos Jelly Head also in .655 shooting Longbeard #5's in 3-1/2". This year I'm gonna try a Jebs with the Longbeards and see if it lives up to the hype.