turkeys for tomorrow

News:

only use regular PayPal to provide purchase protection

Main Menu

Tactacam Setup

Started by MKMGOBL, March 08, 2017, 07:21:00 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

MKMGOBL

So who plans on running a Tactacam on their turkey hunting setup? Last year gave it a try (last minute) and had issues. This year with the picatinny rail mount, I should be all set. It worked well on the Hoyt last fall deer hunting and would have worked on my fall gobbler if.....I remembered to turn it on ;D 

https://flic.kr/p/SczTSq

https://flic.kr/p/SczVg7

https://flic.kr/p/RxrHPg
"Luck Happens When Preparation Meets Opportunity"

wvlimbhanger

I have one I plan to run for 2nd angle stuff.

fallhnt

Got one when they 1st came out. Got the new 4 last Fall. It's bigger so a 30mm scope mount won't fit but the universal mount from the original works. Have it set up for bowfishing too. Great camera
When I turkey hunt I use a DSD decoy

MKMGOBL

fallhnt....I have them both too and it original picatinny mount will work with one modification. When I went to KS bowhunting I used my 4.0 with the 2.0 rail mount but I had to go to the hardware store for longer screws. They came out with the 4.0 about a month or so ago.

catman529

Not gonna mount a camera on my turkey gun, too much recoil for my liking

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

MK M GOBL

We use the Tactacam and GoPros for B-roll only... Tactacam has been on gun/bow and additional angles from GoPros (stuck in ground or mounted facing back to shooter). Out of the "Action Cams" The Tactacam gives the best to "real" hunt video, GoPro does okay but all of our main footage is from Canon XA30, G30 & G20.

MK M GOBL

MKMGOBL

I film mostly to play back with friends and family. I've got some pretty cool footage with the Tactacam on the bow last year and the year before. They had my bear footage "Shoot or Not to Shoot" on their web page....and I chose not to ;D

Next fall I plan on running the 4.0 on the animal and the 2.0 on me drawing to see how it works.

fallhnt

Quote from: MKMGOBL on March 09, 2017, 07:13:01 AM
fallhnt....I have them both too and it original picatinny mount will work with one modification. When I went to KS bowhunting I used my 4.0 with the 2.0 rail mount but I had to go to the hardware store for longer screws. They came out with the 4.0 about a month or so ago.
I bought and used my 4.0 in October. The 30mm scope mount that works on the original is to small to fit the 4.0.
When I turkey hunt I use a DSD decoy

MKMGOBL

Quote from: fallhnt on March 10, 2017, 04:48:45 AM
I bought and used my 4.0 in October. The 30mm scope mount that works on the original is to small to fit the 4.0.

Yes...you are correct if you are talking about the 4.0 camera fitting perfectly in the 2.0 camera rail mount. The 4.0 camera is bigger than the 2.0.

But...as I said with a modification of longer socket cap screws, you can make it work. I spent most of Oct until the end of our bow season with 4.0 mounted in the 2.0 rail mount on my bow shooting deer & coyotes and it worked flawlessly. I forgot what the thread size is but if give Scotty a call at Tactacam, he'll know. I do still have my screws for the length you'd need if interested but at this point seeing they have a 4.0 mount out, I'd just get it. Good luck

Bolandstrutters

Is there anyway to mount these to your head?  I think the footage would be smoother versus on a gun.

MKMGOBL

yes...I think when they came out with 4.0 mount they also introduced a head band too. I bought one to try and mounted the camera to it but have done nothing else with it so far with it. I'm sure it will end with one of my boys as they make everything I have theirs.