OG Gear Store
Sum Toy
Dave Smith
Wood Haven
North Mountain Gear
North Mountain Gear
turkeys for tomorrow

News:

registration is free , easy and welcomed !!!

Main Menu

smoked him !!!

Started by tiggere, April 09, 2011, 09:46:29 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

tiggere

Well we pulled it off this morning...my 6 year old got his first bird !!!!!!...tomorrow is my birthday and I don't think I could have asked for a better gift...the bird gobbled his head off all morning on the roost...then ran about 200 yards down a field to us before finally coming up to a pinch point between the two fields...we were setup at that pinch point because thats where they were last weekend for youth day...well when my son flips the safety off the bird spots something and hangs (he's only 25 yards at this point)...but because he is behind some pines there is no way to get a shot...fate would have it that a small gust comes up and makes the hen decoy sway a little and that was all it took...he put on a show...full strut at now 20 yards and closing...spit'n and drum'n at 18 yards...he finally comes out of strut and I am telling my son to shoot...shoot...shoot...well after about the sixth time telling him the gun goes off and the turkey dives down for a dirt nap...stone dead at a mere 16 to 17 yards...I don't know who was more excited...but the good lord blessed us with a beautiful morning that neither one of us will soon forget...

We are heading of to the taxidermist  to have the fan and beard mounted on a plaque with the 20 gauge shell...bird went about 20 pounds...beard unofficially is 10 1/2" to 11"...spurs around 1 1/16" to 1 1/8"...I'll get him to measure everything while we are there...I went ahead and cut the breast meat out because we were going to have to wait 3 hours or so for the guy to get out of the woods to drop it off...and stupid me didn't weigh the bird first

njdevilsb

That's awesome.  Congrats to you both.   :icon_thumright:

Kyfoster11

Congrats to you and your little man!!  He's got turkey hunting in his blood now!!

rkf

new2turkey

Awesome, father and son both beaming with pride!

Congrats on his first bird, sounds like an exciting hunt  :icon_thumright:

hookedspur

Quote from: Kyfoster11 on April 09, 2011, 10:23:49 AM
Congrats to you and your little man!!  He's got turkey hunting in his blood now!!

rkf
:icon_thumright: :icon_thumright:
CRUSADERS
2016-2017-2018-2019-2020- 2021
Six time Old Gobbler Contest Champions

tiggere

official measurements...both spurs were 1" and the beard was 9 1/2"...

CB on the run

:icon_thumright:  Nothing better than a father/son team.  Mine is 27 years old but he had to wait until 12 to hunt(NYS law) so we been tag teaming for 15 years.

CB

mightyjoeyoung

Quote from: tiggere on April 09, 2011, 12:01:46 PM
official measurements...both spurs were 1" and the beard was 9 1/2"...

Now THAT is what I call a first gobbler!  Great job guys!! :you_rock:
Big Al's "Take-em" Style Silhouette decoys Pro-Staff.

Of all the things I've lost, I miss my mind te most.

Devastator

redarrow

That is too cool. Congrats to you both. :icon_thumright: :icon_thumright: :icon_thumright:

WyoHunter

Congrats to your son and to you! Beautiful pics and a great gobbler!
If I had a dollar for every gobbler I thought I fooled I'd be well off!

gophert

:wav:

That is awesome!!!!!!!   I know that feeling as a dad.  Mine daughter (age 10) took her first bird last Wednesday.  Enjoy the moment!.

Hardtime_NC

Thats Great!  Congrats to both of you.
Theres no dollar sign on a piece of mind!

mr meat

congrats!nice bird indeed

surehuntsalot

another young man takes a fine looking bird....congrats
it's not the harvest,it's the chase