turkeys for tomorrow

News:

only use regular PayPal to provide purchase protection

Main Menu

shot gun pattern question!

Started by gobblinfever, March 02, 2017, 08:40:22 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

gobblinfever

hey guys, got a question. when you all line your shot guns up. do you like them shooting a little high or right on? ive always had mine shoot a little high so when I aim at the bottom of the neck it hits right in the middle of the neck. whats your alls opinion and how do you line yours up?
Nothing better than turkey huntin

Blong

I want my turkey gun shooting a few inches high.  Low is a no go hunting in hills!

Gobble!

Right one. I use to have it shoot high then realized that made no sense.

Vinci1964

born2hunt

With adjustable sights, I like mine shooting a tad high or just under center of pattern. I don't like to have to cover my target with the sights. I don't use optics but if so, I would want them dead on because you can see the whole target.
Genesis 1:26
   Then God said, "Let us make mankind in our image, in our likeness, so that they may rule over the fish in the sea and the birds in the sky, over the livestock and all the wild animals,[a] and over all the creatures that move along the ground."

longspur

When I first started hunting turkeys I aimed at his head. Then I learned it's better for the pattern to hit the neck. In the heat of the moment it's still natural for me to aim at the head, and it's easier to see. I set mine shooting a little low. Set his head right on top of the bead. BINGO

bbcoach

Dead on for me and then use the middle of the neck as an aiming point.  With the spread of the shot pattern more of the pattern will hit the head and neck area.  I don't understand shooting at the head and losing half your pattern above the bird.

Gamblinman

Dead on. I'll make any adjustments that need to be made.
"I don't hunt turkeys because I want to. I hunt turkeys because I have to."

Spitten and drummen

Quote from: bbcoach on March 03, 2017, 07:40:34 AM
Dead on for me and then use the middle of the neck as an aiming point.  With the spread of the shot pattern more of the pattern will hit the head and neck area.  I don't understand shooting at the head and losing half your pattern above the bird.

<this>
" RANGERS LEAD THE WAY"
"QUEEN OF BATTLE FOLLOW ME " ~ INFANTRY
"DEATH FROM ABOVE " ~ AIRBORNE

HFultzjr

6 o'clock hold with just his head showing, puts it about dead center neck/wattles.
I don't like covering his head with the sights in case he "wiggles".
Red is aiming point, green is pattern.

TANK

Gooserbat

I want mine hitting where I aim.  A Turkey's head is very prone to move but the lower neck is more stationary.  I aim at the waddels and  I want my pattern centered there.
NWTF Booth 1623
One of my personal current interests is nest predators and how a majority of hunters, where legal bait to the extent of chumming coons.  However once they get the predators concentrated they don't control them.

wvmntnhick

Quote from: Gooserbat on March 03, 2017, 01:54:45 PM
I want mine hitting where I aim.  A Turkey's head is very prone to move but the lower neck is more stationary.  I aim at the waddels and  I want my pattern centered there.
X2

If using sights, prefer a 6 o'clock like mentioned above. With red dots or a scope I want it where I aim.

turkaholic

My brother lives in a city where it's not easy to shoot your gun. I had him bring his gun to my farm to pattern it because he missed his last 4 birds. Sure enough he was shooting  almost 20" high. What a costly mistake. I check my groups out every year and want my sights right on. The last thing you want is to have to think about where to aim your gun during the battle.
live to hunt hunt to live

MickT

Missed 4 birds? Boy can't take a hint, can he?

How does a shotgun shoot that high? Did you shoot as well to confirm that it wasn't flinching or peeking?

I would be talking to that manufacturer because that is out of spec for any weapon.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk