only use regular PayPal to provide purchase protection

Main Menu

Primos Rocker Vest

Started by JHoyle, March 02, 2017, 08:16:31 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Daddy rat

How big is xl/xxl? Did know how much room compared to other vest... thanks

JHoyle

I'm 250lbs,6'1" and xl/xxl is big on me. But not too big.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

TauntoHawk

Quote from: TauntoHawk on March 24, 2017, 09:36:18 AM
Quote from: Rzrbac on March 24, 2017, 01:22:37 AM
I certainly like the idea of a hydration bladder.  All my packs have that capability, will this vest hold a 3L?
I don't know what it's capacity is, I can measure the pocket dimensions when I get a chance for you.

Sent from my XT1585 using Tapatalk
The pocket is about 13" wide 10" tall and roughly 2" deep not sure what size hydration bag that fits I'll use the pocket for extra face mask and socks that I like to never be without.

<blockquote class="imgur-embed-pub" lang="en" data-id="l4hWuQU"><a href="//imgur.com/l4hWuQU"></a></blockquote><script async src="//s.imgur.com/min/embed.js" charset="utf-8"></script>

TauntoHawk

Quote from: Treerooster on March 24, 2017, 10:29:44 AM
Quote from: TauntoHawk on March 21, 2017, 06:00:46 PM

Can see some naps happening pockets still accessible while seated but not cluttered on my chest or lap.

Nighty night.

Hey wait a minute...hold the phone...stop the presses. This vest is UNFAIR!

Napping should be a skill!!! This vest makes napping too easy. Any young whippersnapper can nap in that thing.

Nice review and thanks for doing that TauntoHawk. I have an interest in this vest but will wait until next season as I am about to start already.

There are still some things that I would like to know but those are going to take time.

Is the vest really comfortable after you have sat in the same place in it for 1 1/2 to 3 hours?

Are those zippers really actually waterproof? And will they last more than 5 years? On my MO Elite 3 vest a zipper or 2 are the first things that went.

Is it noisy/clumsy to walk through brush?

I'll let you guys test her out first.  ;D
Those are my remaining questions. Is it real world comfortable, how does it function on slopes both looking up down and side slopes. what about the 2hr sit will my legs work when I stand up???

Also always question zipper durability and stitching down the line, they do have large pull tabs which help in the dark on the outside pockets. I assume the pocket material is waterproof or at least resistant otherwise taped zippers don't mean much. I can always spray it with waterproofing as well. I do worry that the lighter fabric will have some noise in brush compared to the heavy yet quiet and durable material on the tac tater line but again won't know til I'm out there.

I'm also an accomplished woods napper thank you very much, I can remember in highschool staying out too late then having my dad wake me up for bow hunting, a few hours later I'd be curled up at the base of my stand sleeping in the leaves. I'd only crawl back on stand when my dad came to get me again to tell him I didn't see anything. Now I have fancy vests and millennium treestands so I can do it right but then don't because I'm too busy hunting.

<blockquote class="imgur-embed-pub" lang="en" data-id="l4hWuQU"><a href="//imgur.com/l4hWuQU"></a></blockquote><script async src="//s.imgur.com/min/embed.js" charset="utf-8"></script>

Tail Feathers

I just got mine today.  I spent about 15 minutes going over it and sitting in it.  First impressions:
1.  It seems heavier than my BassPro lounger vest was.  But it broke two years ago so maybe not.  I put it on and it doesn't seem heavier wearing it.
2.  The back is much higher than the BassPro lounger vest.  Much better back, higher and padded.  I like it a lot.  The seat is the same as Bucklick Creek and the BassPro version.  Thin padding but pretty comfortable for that thickness.  It's pretty easy to do an hour or more in it.  That said, I can do as long in this seat as I can my Tactical Tater kickstand vest.  That seat gets hard after an hour. 
3.  Very easy up and down with the seat, I like that when it's time to make a quick move.
4.  Seems well made.  Good pocket layout.  Not sure how the hard pocket and double thick pot call pockets will feel, they do stick out front a bit.  As stated, the striker pockets look a bit slender.  But it should hold the ones that fit it quite well.
5.  Lined hand pockets, cool!
6.  A decoy stake pocket.  Don't use one often but that's a positive thing when I do.
7.  Well padded shoulder straps.  The seat straps hold securely.  Love the versatility of the seating and fast moves are as easy as any vest.
I'm very pleased, but my season doesn't open until April 15 so I can't do much real hunting testing yet.
Love to hunt the King of Spring!

grousec

Well, I have placed an order for one.  Can't wait to try it.

TauntoHawk

I've got 40 hours of hunting in this vest so I will circle back for guys interested.

-Seat; finding the balance between convenient/comfort/and weight is tough there's always a con to the pros of each set up I've tried traditional vest cushion, carried a lounger an entire season, the framed kickstand style vest. In my opinion this vest is the solution for me, really balances comfort and portability.

- this vest will carry everything you need and about a bucket load more, lots of pockets. the only negative I can find is the striker sleeves will only suite certain strikers as some I have are too thick or long to fit correctly but there is another pocket that will fit them just fine on the inside.

- I really liked the protected pockets for box and pot calls, banging around in the woods and tossing the vest in the back of the truck it certainly is nice to have a bit more protection on expensive custom calls.

This really seems like a they thought of everything product I wouldn't hesitate to recommend this vest to anyone

JHoyle

So I spent around 18 days in this vest this year. Here are my after thoughts.
Although I love the layout and design of this vest, it doesn't hold up.
I tore a zipper on one of the pockets 3rd day.
The brace on the back support pushed through the top of vest this past wknd.
I contacted primos and they are gonna make it right but unless they double up on the fabric and stitching I won't reorder another.

grayfox

After hunting hard with mine for 2 weekends I noticed Thursday while hunting the web strap for the bottom buckle had almost come completely off from where it was sewn on the left side of the vest. It's headed back to Primos tomorrow. I sure do love the vest & how you can sit anywhere with no tree to your back. The only negative for the vest for me is it is heavier & hotter than my other vests.

crenshawco

Quote from: JHoyle on April 24, 2017, 07:09:28 PM
The brace on the back support pushed through the top of vest this past wknd.

Mine has done the same thing on both sides. I had my wife stitch it back up with dental floss and it's held up fine since. I'm probably going to send it back to Primos and get a new one after the season though.

TauntoHawk

Man the only thing I worried about was durability and it sounds like its a fantastic design with marginal to poor execution.. maybe their first run was rushed and they will correct their mistakes or resign of CS issue for next year. I hope Primos is sending return labels for shipping because the vest isn't small to send back on your dime??

grousec

Ordered one Saturday and got it today (Tuesday)!  Not as excited now that I have read the last few post has me wondering about durability!!

Rzrbac

Appreciate everybody's reviews. My vest has a ton of miles on it and it shows. I'm gonna make due with it for the rest of the season though.  This vest has had my attention since it came out. I really like the idea of ditching the Camelbak and being able to stick a bladder in the vest.

I'm a little disappointed to hear about the durability, I'm hard on my turkey hunting gear so durability is important.

I hope there's more reviews here, so far this vest is on the top of my list.  I've looked at Ole Tom vests and I just can't see one of those holding up very long with the way I hunt.  For anybody that's used both, can you compare the two as far as durability goes.

Gobble Nole

Quick note...

If you study the vest, you can see that there are about 6 stitch points that get a significant amount of pressure when the vest is loaded with gear and then when sitting. 

I took an hour or so and over stitched these areas with power pro fishing line.  First off, power pro is extremely strong and I used 10 lb test to fix the areas.  We use it on the flats for catching redfish, you can sling a 1/2 ounce gold spoon a mile with 10lb power pro. 

Once you do this, it isn't going to pull loose.  I promise...

Just my quick fix...

I also cut the long straps in the front off by about 16 inches, they were annoying...

crenshawco

Good advice here. I think that would solve and prevent the issues. There is definitely a good bit of pressure on the 4 corners of the seat. I'd think all 4 corners should be reinforced.